Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Nude model does photoshoot with no photoshop, other women call her a fake woman  (Read 28787 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/04/nude-model-goes-un-airbru_n_410609.html

Miss Universe 2004 and model Jennifer Hawkins agreed to pose nude and un-airbrushed on the cover of February's Australian Marie Claire, but some are slamming the magazine's anti-Photoshopping efforts, claiming Hawkins does not represent real women.

Editor Jackie Frank told The Australian that the images were inspired by a survey of 5500 readers, which showed that only 12 percent of women were truly happy with their bodies. Marie Claire put Hawkins on the cover to make a positive statement about body image and the photographs of Hawkins will be auctioned later this month, with the proceeds donated to the Butterfly Foundation, an eating disorders support group.

In the interview, Hawkins says, "I'm not a stick figure--I thought it would be great to tell women to just be themselves and be confident."

But the cover sparked an outcry from Marie Claire readers such as "She wants to make [women] feel more comfortable about how they look, gee thanks, I now feel worse! I'm a size 10 and I still have more rolls than her!" and "If anything is going to have me running to the toilet with my finger down my throat it's a picture of Jennifer Hawkins naked."

The Butterfly Foundation's general manager Julie Parker pointed out Hawkins flaws, including her dimpled thigh, creased waist and skin-tone changes. Parker told The Age that photographing an average Australian woman wouldn't have worked.

"The thing is unfortunately it doesn't make the same point, because Jennifer sells magazines and she creates awareness. If 'Marie Claire' had chosen to put on their cover an ordinary women, say myself or a friend of yours, it would not have created the awareness it does."

Sigh...

Also, for your extra, what the heck is wrong with people dose:

My Fellow Malaysians are Willing to Die Over a 5-letter Word
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8447450.stm

There was tight security at all churches in Malaysia and at several mosques where protests against the court's ruling took place, says the BBC's Jennifer Pak in Kuala Lumpur. Mass nationwide demonstrations failed to materialise on Friday, but protesters at mosques in Kuala Lumpur carried placards reading "Allah is only for us" and "Heresy arises from words wrongly used".

"I hope the court will understand the feeling of the majority Muslims of Malaysia," said Ahmad Johari, at the National Mosque. "We can fight to the death over this issue," he told Associated Press news agency. The government has appealed against the court verdict and the High Court has suspended the decision's implementation until the appeal is heard.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Ugh.  Just... ugh.  The reaction from the fashion industry is just typical, I guess.

I generally prefer pictures without airbrushing.  Airbrushing makes me feel like I'm looking at something from a videogame.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, in the first one, she still has a hotter than average bod, which I guess is what everyone was complaining about (it made them feel MORE inferior, I guess, since they couldn't rationalize their feelings of inferiority with "well, it's all photoshop). Doesn't make much sense.

Second one, man, are people dumb. Arabic speaking Jews and Christians use the word "Allah" to mean God too. People will find any excuse to blow each other up.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile

Ugh.  Just... ugh.  The reaction from the fashion industry is just typical, I guess.

You can generalize your assumtion - this reaction from people is just typical
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Most models that go under the photoshop... knife? invoke the uncanny valley effect in me big time.

Also I expected better from people. I am an idiot.

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't get it. Are you saying that the reaction of the women is stupid ? Because even though I agree that they are probably all very dumb for being involved in any way with this magazine, you don't make women feel good about their appareances by showing them an unhealthily thin, extremely attractive model. That's how you make men feel good. I mean, to think that the "defaults" of the girl would put her anywhere close to normal, your standards must be pretty fucked up already. So yeah, she might not be a fake woman (I didn't see anybody call her that in the article by the way), but the point was certainly missed by a good mile. How could anyone get more confident after having seen this ?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

That's the thing though.  Whether it's a realistic body image is irrelevant, because the woman decrying this magazine (well, the ones the article is about anyway) want to look like that.  They're mad at the magazine for... reminding them they don't, I think.  The point is, it's not skinny people's fault that fat people are fat, especially when the "fat" people are not fat in the first place.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

Yeah.

You dont see me at the sink everytime I look at a magazine.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Second one, man, are people dumb. Arabic speaking Jews and Christians use the word "Allah" to mean God too. People will find any excuse to blow each other up.

I was under the impression that the standard Muslim belief was that all of the Dhimmi (Jews, Christians and Muslims) were in fact worshiping the same god with different ritual and moral beliefs. Honestly this protest strikes me as surprising, but it may simply not be a majority or, like you said- they just don't like their neighbors.

And Cyx, I'm pretty sure she isn't underweight...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

I was under the impression that the standard Muslim belief was that all of the Dhimmi (Jews, Christians and Muslims) were in fact worshiping the same god with different ritual and moral beliefs. Honestly this protest strikes me as surprising, but it may simply not be a majority or, like you said- they just don't like their neighbors.
It depends entirely on personal belief rather than central doctrine, I guess.  Few Muslims are that extreme, but those are the ones you read about...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Blegh.  The whole thing sounds stupid to me.  Now, I don't look at the sort of magazine that has nude models.  Why?  Because they are part of this whole fashion craze going on.  There are people obsessed with looking modern and fashionable; there have been for ages.  Then there are people who are just put under pressure to look that way.  These days that means looking stick-thin and wearing skimpy, impractical clothing and shoes that kill the spine.

It's something that's constantly changing, serves no practical purpose, and seems to be based entirely around living in the moment - or rather, the practice of always living in the moment and never thinking of the future.  Look at models.  From what I hear, it can be a fairly high paying job.  But it has consequences.  One:  Stalkers.  If your naked body (even censored or otherwise covered up in a safe-for-grocery-shelf) is in several magazines that might be viewed for visual pleasure, chances are that you could get a stalker.  And that can just be distressing as all hell.  Two:  A lot of them are young ladies, sometimes only just getting out of high school.  Despite what the law says, most of them aren't mentally mature enough to make the decision to go showing themselves off.  It can cause stress later.  Three:  That big paycheck.  Okay, so they're getting a lot then, but what about when they've gotten too old?  What will they do next?  Nothing in the same or a similar field will pay an older woman the same salary that a young model might get.  She'd have to go into real work or acting, and there probably wouldn't be many with enough natural or taught acting talent at that point in there life to really get into the business.  How many actually finish college?  Or even start, for that matter?  The way some people I've known who are interested in modeling talk, I'd guess few.

There are lesser extremes and examples of excessive "living in the moment."  Kids going to college just for the partying and whatnot.  Girls focusing all on getting the money for some excessively priced dress for prom, even to the point of neglecting their school work.

Now, there's nothing long with trying to look sharp.  But it really isn't that hard and people put too much effort into it.  When that happens, things just turn out worse.

It's probably pretty obvious this annoys the hell out of me, 'cause I don't often write long rants.  Sorry 'bout that.

I swear if I ever have a daughter, it's no dolls or pretty princess stories for her.  Legos and sensible books.  Oh, and please don't get me wrong, I know plenty of people who don't act like the above, girls included.  It's those that do that bug me.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:06:37 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile

Yeah man, I agree. Disgusting.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, if the upset women admit that they just don't want to be reminded of their failure, it looks pretty bad. I actually thought they were written by feminists deploring that someone is rubbing what women have no chance of ever achieving in their faces and passing it as something creating awareness. As I saw it, the "finger down my throat" comment was sarcasm, the meaning being "it's still going to get thin women to believe they have to be thinner to be beautiful, so it might be a good step as a magazine picture, but as an actual benefit to women it's got a long way to go". My mistake, I guess.
But I still don't see either side as particularly less ridicule than the other.

And I believe you if you say she isn't underweight, I just assumed it because of what I heard about beauty contests, and the fact that she looks thinner that any thin woman without an eating disorder I've ever seen. (Well, now that I've looked closer, maybe it's not that bad. Admittedly, I don't see many women.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:19:32 pm by Cyx »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

I only brought it up because the critic said she, a perfectly normal human being female, not altered in any way by computer software, and yes, marginally more attractive than other women, is not a representative of a "REAL" woman. Unless this model is a figment of our imagination or something, I'm pretty sure she's plenty real and am plenty sure she is a pretty woman.

Then again, I can see where they're coming from when we call wimpy men who cry themselves to sleep not "REAL" men. Hehehe...

Edit: Yeah, come to think of it. It's pretty hypocritical of us to laugh at these folks since if Men's Magazine put Edward Cullen as Man of the Year, we'd be saying the same thing.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

LegoLord, you just took the words right out of my mouth.

:applause:

Oft a point society misses these days. Sad really. It's bullcrap like that that makes me think up plans for a party when the apocalypse comes (if it does).

Hell, it's a reason why I no longer worry about having any age-crisis, worry about dating or my social life anymore. All I have to worry about is surviving, and being comfortable while doing so. Excuse how greedy it sounds. Heck, if all that these women worry about is looks, then they need their heads checked.

Inner beauty isn't bullcrap; it's what more men look for actually. Sure a hot body is nice and all; but I would much prefer mental stability (or a fun, non-dangerous, nutcase) over a hot body any day. Like I said, survival.

And with the level of scrutiny I have with regards to what I learned from my design courses, and my experience tinkering around with Photoshop and such; the image is real.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:55:32 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10