Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forest Fires?  (Read 1063 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Forest Fires?
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:11:45 pm »

I just had a forest fire, due to a mischievous fire imp and a courageous hunter. Has that ever happened to any of you? It's quite epic seeing the world burn at the moment, as it's spanning z-levels. Fortunately, my entrances has a water moat, so it won't catch fire.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
Re: Forest Fires?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:18:31 pm »

It happens fairly often in places with fire imps. I usually just post some amateur marksdwarves around the rim of the magma tube to shoot at anything that pops its head up until they stay down...I used to get forest fires twice a year until they just stopped for some reason.
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:24:51 pm »

Had one of these break out when my starting seven were still unloading the wagon.
I don't embark anywhere with magma anymore.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:13:05 pm »

Had one of these break out when my starting seven were still unloading the wagon.
I don't embark anywhere with magma anymore.
You're missing out on all of the Fun if you play like that.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 11:29:06 pm »

I edited the RAWs so the humans temperature was [HOMEOTHERM:999999] so they'll blow up once they appear on my map so I can start a war with them.More easier than waiting a few minutes for my flood chamber to flood and drown them.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 10:48:16 am »

I change the the ingite point to [IGNITE_POINT:500] in the fire imp's raws. It was satisfying to watch them go up in smoke. ;D

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 02:25:41 pm »

I'm seriously considering a thermonuclear orcsplosion if they surprise me in the summer again.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.