Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a dozen snailmen and no ideas.  (Read 1178 times)

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have a dozen snailmen and no ideas.
« on: December 17, 2009, 12:42:35 am »

The topic says it all. I have a bunch of snailmen. I made a point of capturing them so I could use them to spice up my legendary dining room, but so far I've only managed to get one into a terrarium. My dorfs usually flip out and fight it until it dies, but somehow one of my dorfs (who was an animal trainer, incidentally) was able to catch that one bugger and ram in in there.

I don't feel like building cages in the dining room (since I went through all the trouble to make nice clear glass aquariums, I'm going to put fishies in there,) but I still need something creative to do with my slug/snailmen.

I'm strongly considering adding the "tameable" tag to them.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: I have a dozen snailmen and no ideas.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:54:40 am »

Build a vast, twisting underground labyrinth accessible only via an open pit and let them breed uncontrollably. Occasionally throw goblins elves nobles children whatever you want in there.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 01:21:04 am »

Gigantic tower. I have one that's a mere 15 stories high. See if you can build a tower so tall they reach terminal velocity (for dwarf science, prove whether or not terminal velocity exists in DF). Explode the unlucky snailman.

Also, if all else fails, apply magma.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Desu

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Something witty goes here.
    • View Profile
    • Junkuchan
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 01:51:27 am »

Build a vast, twisting underground labyrinth accessible only via an open pit and let them breed uncontrollably. Occasionally throw goblins elves nobles children whatever you want in there.

Death by snailman must be the most humiliating death in the Dwarf Fortress universe.  Actually, scratch that, death by a massive herd of groundhogs is probably more humiliating.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 05:06:12 am »

Death by snailman must be the most humiliating death in the Dwarf Fortress universe.  Actually, scratch that, death by a massive herd of groundhogs is probably more humiliating.

And the best part is? I have groundhogs on my map.

I'm going to breed both of them to nigh unbelievable levels, then toss goblin prisoners in one by one.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 11:14:50 am »

I once had a adventurer get killed by a giant mole :(
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 04:43:18 pm »

I would say snailmen is worse, at least groundhogs have teeth.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 05:14:42 pm »

Make a labrynth, but throw a giant bat pair in to weed out the pack. You will eventually see the most advanced snailmen live and breed, leading to an army of super-snailmen.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 05:38:54 pm »

1. Cage traps.
2. Military training.
3. Catapult potshots.
4. Wait for them to die.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.