Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Theoretical question on impossible constructions  (Read 1753 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical question on impossible constructions
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 10:12:23 am »

Try to build a floor across the lowest level of a magma pipe.

after reducing the pipe to 1 level in depth (not including the 'bottom' off the map level)
water + mining = floor capped pipe
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 10:14:22 am »

Try to build a floor across the lowest level of a magma pipe.
That should be relatively easy. You'll have to expose the lowest level and pour water on it. After it solidifies into obsidian - mine it and you have a floor.

P. S. I was slow, Shades beat me on this one. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 10:58:42 am »

Build. Not dig, build.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 11:13:11 am »

Build. Not dig, build.

carve away the whole bottom z-layer (or a lot of it), dumping excess magma into a chasm. This means magma bubbling up will randomly flow around as depth 1 and evaporate if it leaves the main pipe giving you time to slowly, and with much !!death!! build floor tiles over it.

I imagine the last few tiles will be the hardest, I can't recall how fast magma refills.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 11:28:03 am »

Build. Not dig, build.
Dig. Then build. Voila, you have a built floor. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 11:46:48 am »

As far as I can tell, anything in DF is possible so long as you have the space (and in some situations, enough natural walls for collapsing). Aside from that, it's just a matter of time and effort.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 12:03:25 pm »

Unless my memory betrays me, they survive the drop without problems.

Whoa...  Are you implying that if I have an aquifer at Z level -2 and I needed it to be at Z level -5 to properly drain an ocean, I could use a cave in to drop a 3x3 section down 3 levels, and when it lands I could mine out the middle tile and it would still be an infinite water sink?
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 12:14:35 pm »

Whoa...  Are you implying that if I have an aquifer at Z level -2 and I needed it to be at Z level -5 to properly drain an ocean, I could use a cave in to drop a 3x3 section down 3 levels, and when it lands I could mine out the middle tile and it would still be an infinite water sink?

I can just imagine the Fun in attempting to disconnect a section of aquifer on all sides and the bottom without drowning all your miners over and over.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 12:17:26 pm »

No, I'm implying that's just a hunch from my memory. I may very easily be wrong.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 01:26:04 pm »

I know that you can't build downwards, so in theory if you had a map whose entire bottom was open chasm tiles with a few empty Z-levels above them, you could never build anything in those empty Z-levels.  I don't think it's possible to ever have terrain like that without some tweak utility however.  I also don't know if the sides of the map count as support, or if the entire map would just instantly fall into the chasm.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 06:45:29 pm »

OP, are you trying to figure out whether DF is an ω-consistent recursive class of formulas, and identify a proposition that is undecidable based upon said formulas?
At last, she is done.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 08:27:46 pm »

If the game spawns a cat in an unrevealed magma pool, the cat is both alive and dead and possibly undead.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 09:26:02 pm »

If the game spawns a cat in an unrevealed magma pool, the cat is both alive and dead and possibly undead.
At least until you check the unit list for deceased units.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 04:10:42 am »

OP, are you trying to figure out whether DF is an ω-consistent recursive class of formulas, and identify a proposition that is undecidable based upon said formulas?
I forgot the university math long ago, but you are probably right. :-)
Pages: 1 [2]