Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Theoretical question on impossible constructions  (Read 1760 times)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Theoretical question on impossible constructions
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:53:39 am »

I have a theoretical question.

In Dwarf Fortress, any construction that does not violate Dwarven Physics can be built by dwarves.

Or not?

Are there any constructions which are theoretically possible, but cannot be built by dwarf labour?

Note that I do not mean obvious game rule violations like making a hole in the floor of the bottom z-layer or building a wall at the very edge of the map.

Intuitively, I think anything that can be imagined, can be built. But can someone prove this? Or even better, prove that the opposite is true by presenting a design that does not violate dwarven physics but cannot be built?
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical question on impossible constructions
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:25:17 am »

Or even better, prove that the opposite is true by presenting a design that does not violate dwarven physics but cannot be built?

Simple. You cannot cover an entire z-level of an embark site with constructed walls. You can get down to one missing wall, but there's nowhere to stand to put the last one in.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:34:51 am »

Or even better, prove that the opposite is true by presenting a design that does not violate dwarven physics but cannot be built?

Simple. You cannot cover an entire z-level of an embark site with constructed walls. You can get down to one missing wall, but there's nowhere to stand to put the last one in.

Because building on the very edge of a map isn't possible I assume you mean the whole z-level bar the edge. In which case you have somewhere to stand as you place the last wall.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 06:02:18 am »

Because building on the very edge of a map isn't possible I assume you mean the whole z-level bar the edge. In which case you have somewhere to stand as you place the last wall.

Well then, time for me to mosey on over to the facepalm thread. I tried to salvage my statement, but it turns out you can build stairs at the edge. I was under the impression that floors and bridges were the only things allowed to be built there.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 06:35:12 am »

This is more because you can't build walls at the extreme edge of the map, and less because you don't have space.  The edge of the map thing is also an arbitrary restriction, which is why it isn't counted.

Also, the question is moot.  In the real world, what we can do is limited by physics.  In Dwarf Fortress, Dwarven Physics is limited to what the game engine (and thereby the player) can do.

To put it another way, the simulation can't factor in variables for which it has no information - if gravity is turned off in the INIT file, gravity is no longer a part of Dwarven Physics.  In the real world we can't go mess around with our raws and turn our household pets into thermonuclear weapons (which is probably for the best), but by the standards of Dwarf Physics, cats spontaneously radiating the head of a thousand suns is perfectly acceptable for the simple reason that the programming says they do.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 06:47:21 am »

This is more because you can't build walls at the extreme edge of the map, and less because you don't have space.  The edge of the map thing is also an arbitrary restriction, which is why it isn't counted.

Also, the question is moot.  In the real world, what we can do is limited by physics.  In Dwarf Fortress, Dwarven Physics is limited to what the game engine (and thereby the player) can do.

To put it another way, the simulation can't factor in variables for which it has no information - if gravity is turned off in the INIT file, gravity is no longer a part of Dwarven Physics.  In the real world we can't go mess around with our raws and turn our household pets into thermonuclear weapons (which is probably for the best), but by the standards of Dwarf Physics, cats spontaneously radiating the head of a thousand suns is perfectly acceptable for the simple reason that the programming says they do.

So, you're saying that there is literally nothing that we can't do if Dwarf Fortress was programmed to allow it?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 06:56:59 am »

Not quite true. There are Dwarven Physics restrictions, but there are dwarf movement and activity restrictions, and these two don't necessarily match.

Suppose it was impossible to drain an ocean. In this case, a stone column protruding from the ocean's floor would be perfectly legal according by Dwarven Physics, but it would be impossible to build it using dwarf labour.

P. S. On an afterthought, though, it would be perfectly possible by magma-casting it up to the surface-level and then building normally from there. Heh.

Tweaking the raws has nothing to do with the question. Tweaked raws create their own universe with it's own version of Dwarven Physics.

Personally, I feel the "impossible to build but physically legal" constructions can be designed using various movement-restricted locations, like aquifers or magma pipes.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:03:27 am by Lav »
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 07:20:26 am »

I think I was on the right track. Attempt number two:

On a flat map, build a single wall one z-level below the surface level at embark that is surrounded by unmined material that is not obsidian.

I think I've got enough qualifiers there.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 07:33:03 am »

On a flat map, build a single wall one z-level below the surface level at embark that is surrounded by unmined material that is not obsidian.

Assuming collapsing the whole z-level so it's all dropped one level doesn't count as surface level then I can't see any way to achieve that until we can build from above or have constructions survive a cave in.

I suppose you could change a different rock to have the [magma] tag though, maybe reword to have any magma rock (rather than obsidian).
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 07:36:48 am »

Nope I was wrong :)

Setup: flat map with ocean at the same z-level (no cliffs), use pumps to remove the ocean enough to build the wall, turn off the pumps.

The water is unmined material that is not obsidian, and the wall is at one z-level below embark.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 07:39:35 am »

Actually you introduce many more restrictions for builders than I originally intended. Which means that I have failed to correctly formulate the question in the opening post.

I don't care about the embark level. The question is about the construction itself - some design of limited size. Consider it a challenge - you must present a design that other players supposedly cannot build. However you must not limit their options on how or where to build it.

That is why embark level does not matter. Material qualifications do not matter - a wall is a wall. Whether it's constructed or not doesn't matter either - a player is completely free to build it using any method he prefers, building or magma-casting.

Now a construction that seems to qualify these restrictions and still cannot be built seems to be the following:

~~~
~S~
~~~

Where ~ is a brook tile, and S is a statue (or any other construction that can only be built from the side).

Though if brook tiles remain intact after cave-in, this construction will be possible.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 07:43:32 am »

~~~
~S~
~~~

Where ~ is a brook tile, and S is a statue (or any other construction that can only be built from the side).

Though if brook tiles remain intact after cave-in, this construction will be possible.

Or just build a construction above the middle square (at least one z-level above) then de-construct it so whatever you used to build it will fall down, this will convert that single brook square to solid land. (might have to be a cave-in but pretty sure it doesn't)

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 08:25:17 am »

Actually you introduce many more restrictions for builders than I originally intended.

Grumble grumble.

Does anybody know what happens to aquifer tiles when they're dropped? I tried searching, but everything was talking about using cave-ins to get through aquifers, rather than dropping the aquifer itself.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 08:33:33 am »

Unless my memory betrays me, they survive the drop without problems.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:05:55 am »

Try to build a floor across the lowest level of a magma pipe.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: [1] 2