Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: To Dual/Multi Core computer users on windows  (Read 5652 times)

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
Re: To Dual/Multi Core computer users
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 09:19:57 pm »

I'd point out that the effect of isolating DF to a single core isn't all that noticeable unless your processor is already bogged down.

If it's already free, then isolating it isn't really going to do much of anything. But, if you want that last FPS squeezed out, then this is one way to do it.

And yeah, just setting the processor affinity for dwarf fortress does not remove any other software from the core. It just sets DF to use a single core that is still being used by all other software.
Title should be "To Dual/Multi Core computer, Windows users".

Renamed it. Sorry about that, wasn't really thinking about it.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
Re: To Dual/Multi Core computer users on windows
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 07:34:43 pm »

Can someone help me understand something? Cos if I got it right DF uses both cores when you have Ubuntu? Cos if that is right then I think is time for me to switch back to linux.
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 07:54:28 pm »

Dwarf Fortress version 40d will never use more than one core, unless possibly for user input and output - all of the actual computation necessary for simulating the game world is done on one single core.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 08:53:57 pm »

Huh. I kinda thought Dwarf Fortress already used multiple cores, since I've got a 170+ fort running at a regular 70 FPS or so...

But that might be my 8 gigabytes of RAM and 64-bit OS...
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 09:08:11 pm »

Huh. I kinda thought Dwarf Fortress already used multiple cores, since I've got a 170+ fort running at a regular 70 FPS or so...

Nope, it's all about the processor.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 06:07:59 am »

Fact of the matter is, old 2Ghz processors are not very much like Quadcore 2Ghz processors or the like. New architecture and coding improved the speed/Ghz, if you know what I mean.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 01:37:01 pm »

I don't really see the need in Vista.  Vista seems to do a decent job at running DF with 1 complete core.  I rarely see DF drop below 50% CPU utilization (which means all of 1 core).
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 [2]