Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Armor for civilians?  (Read 3831 times)

golden joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor for civilians?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 09:28:01 pm »

Aside from making them all hunters or giving them adamantine clothes there's not much you can do.

However, training them in wrestling and swimming might give them slightly better carp survivability.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 05:01:11 am »

Dont put the banks on the river, just make a single cross bow dwarf and station him near the river to shoot at the fish.

unless its a stream, as I dont think they can shoot through the "floor tile" of a stream or brook.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 10:15:46 am »

Wouldn't it be possible to make metals cloth-able(?!). It would somehow be cheating and may require a regen, but i think the metal clothes would protect them more than fiber. Steel cloaks would rock!

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 11:03:17 am »

Options:
1. Don't embark on rivers (brooks are very nice (no monster fish), other areas will have less access to water)

2. Keep Dwarves away from the river (walls, restricted traffic zones, designated drinking/fishing areas etc)

3. Kill all of the Carp (air drown, marksdwarves, make war dogs amphibious)

4. Train all Dwarves in Swimming and Wrestling (its not so much that the carp kills them but that they get dragged/dodge into the water and drown)

5. Edit Carp so they are not so annoying (reduce bite damage from 1:6 to 1:2, reduce size by 1 or 2 points)

6. Alter Iron/Steel so that it can be made into thread and thus clothing (add the [ANY_USE] token to them, do before embark and/or world gen if you want a chance of dwarves wearing metal clothing)

7. Edit Dwarves so they are tougher (amphibious comes to mind, as does increasing the base damage of their attacks)

Personally I just go with 2, 3, and 5; sometimes 1 (brooks are nice), 4 is too time consuming, 6 has other side effects (though the mechanisms are nice), 7 well they aren't really dwarves then are they?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 11:45:46 am »

A more practical solution is probably to draft your dwarves long enough for them to train their wrestling skill up. It will help them fare better against carp, requires no odd equipment options, and increases their stats at the same time.

Of course, they'll refuse to go back to menial labor if they hit legendary, but that's not an issue unless you forget about them or they regularly have to use their new skills over a period of time.

A naked legendary wrestler is a one-dorf army.

Next release there will be no more issue with high skill military dwarves refusing to go change jobs. I plan on regularly recruiting parts of my population for wrestling practice. Its not like walking around in full adamantine plate, but it still makes the dwarf quite formidable.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 11:48:04 am »

6. Alter Iron/Steel so that it can be made into thread and thus clothing (add the [ANY_USE] token to them, do before embark and/or world gen if you want a chance of dwarves wearing metal clothing)

I use that for steel. By default its on adamantine only, but I figure steel is strong yet workable enough that you can make pretty much everything out of it.

Including mechanisms!

Yes, you can make mechanisms out of adamantine in the vanilla game, as well as with any material modded to be [ANY_USE].

You have to do this manually at the forge. There is no way to add the task in the job manager for some reason.
Pages: 1 [2]