Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No water  (Read 542 times)

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No water
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:41:18 pm »

So, I have the following situation: I have a map with no water, only a few pools. It got drained at the very beginning of the game. When it rained, they filled up to 1-2 levels. So I dug a drain in one of the pools to collect this water. However, since then, the pools don't fill when it rains. There aren't even those blue spots on the ground that used to be before.

Why is this and is there any other way of getting water?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: No water
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:05:41 pm »

It might be that it's raining in a different biome than the one the murky pools reside in.

You're already doing all you can to collect water in your situation, though I'd recommend you dig drains in all the other murky pools.

Dwarves don't need that much water, just for the wounded, so long as you're producing lots of booze.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 03:23:39 pm »

I have enough booze, but I lost two dwarves because of this. One of them was a sparring soldier falling into the dry well. Yes, I know. I shouldn't have built the well in the barrack. I have replaced it since.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:55:06 pm »

Only "murky pool" tiles will get water when it rains. If you dug all of those out, then you won't get any water.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 03:56:21 pm »

I dug one tile down stairway in the pool.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 04:17:18 pm »

I had that a couple games ago - all the ponds on the map drained at the beginning of the map, and stayed dry, leaving me dependent on booze. Pretty annoying when you ran dry.

Only "murky pool" tiles will get water when it rains. If you dug all of those out, then you won't get any water.
Yeah, I found this out the hard way when I dug out a shaft to make an underground Goblin Siege/Booze Drought water reservoir. Once I had cut away the entire pool and there was just a deep, deep rectangular hole in the ground where it had been, there was no water to be had. Ended up digging an underground channel from the river into the shaft instead.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore