Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A few agricultural suggestions  (Read 1177 times)

The Menacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few agricultural suggestions
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »

I hope that eventually channels can be used in order to allow irrigation systems to be built, possibly allowing the dwarves to grow some moisture-loving cave plant that is worth the effort.  The only above ground plant that springs to mind is rice, but that's pretty much just a staple food like the current plump helmets.  Also yes to edible slime molds, the dwarves need more absolutely disgusting crap to eat.  What's better than a fungus that can wander off your plate to go with your +purring maggot roast+?

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 11:12:00 am »

I think a subterranean rice paddy would be cool.

Also, farming should have its own tools - hoes, plows (horse-drawn?), sickles, etc.

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by The Menacer:
<STRONG>I hope that eventually channels can be used in order to allow irrigation systems to be built, possibly allowing the dwarves to grow some moisture-loving cave plant that is worth the effort.  The only above ground plant that springs to mind is rice, but that's pretty much just a staple food like the current plump helmets.  Also yes to edible slime molds, the dwarves need more absolutely disgusting crap to eat.  What's better than a fungus that can wander off your plate to go with your +purring maggot roast+?</STRONG>

What do you mean?  :( )

Yes, slime molds really must go in, as well as snorites, lichen, algae, molds, and various other extremofile microorganisms who's names I can't currently remember! Hooray for biology!  :D
Take a look at this article for some great inspiration!

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »

one of the things i enjoy about this game is the ability to produce things and build up the wealth of the fortress.  my favorite add-on for the sims 2 is the one where you can fish your own pond and grow a garden (and use the raked leaves from the yard as compost for the garden).  i'm not ashamed to say that i usually use the money cheat so my sims can stay home to fish and grow veggies.

with dwarf fortress i actually like to limit the number of dwarves to about 20 (max) and spend the first couple years just fishing and making booze.  this gives my two miners plenty of time to dig out vast underground forests and places for workshops and bedrooms.  at some point i either grow bored and make a new fortress or raise the population limit and let all hell break loose as the fortress is flooded with immigrants.

i would love to expand the farming capabilities of my dwarves.  dwarves need more booze.  besides, i like 'shrooms (the kind ya eat, not the kind that make you see dwarves   ;) ).  i'm all for it.

note: if you can find the point in this rambling, please tell me what it is   :roll:

cause of unexplainable mischief

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 04:28:00 pm »

Snorites!?!   :eek:
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.
Pages: 1 [2]