Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A few agricultural suggestions  (Read 1178 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few agricultural suggestions
« on: September 29, 2007, 06:35:00 pm »

Right now, dwarfs farm with silt washed downshore by the cave river and water the plants once a year. The doesn't make much sense for dwarf made floods and the second doesn't make sense at all. I suggest a change to the way farming works:

First you would build the farm plot. Either you build on dirt/slit or you pick a "soil" from the farm plot menu and your dwarfs will put it in the plot as a replacement. The soil can be any or all of the following things:

Dirt: Dug up outside, cheap and easy to find.

Silt: Dug up near rivers, plants grow better on it than in dirt.

Cave moss: A new plant that can be grown quickly and cheaply on damp rock or an farm plot with without anything to grow on. Grows naturaly on the banks of
underground water sources or farmed.

Refuse: Dead things, vermin, animal fat, ect. Realy easy to get ahold of, but using this for farming results in misima and a toxic moss growing on some tiles of the farm.

Sawdust: Easy to get, in mass, from a shop that uses wood.

Potash: Made from wood, good for growing. Mushrooms can't grow in pure potash; you need some other type of soil mixed in.

Better soil results in more plants. Soil, nor farm plots disapear over the winter, but will deplete. You can order new soil added at anytime.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Once you have something for the mushrooms to grow in, you can set an option for your dwarfs to water them or not. Water comes from wells or rivers/lakes in a bucket. If you let them water the mushrooms, they produce more plants per tile. Most plants have a minimum amount of water and soil they need in order to grow at all.

Plump helmet: Requires moderate amounts of soil and water for moderate amount of food and wine. Good general crop.

Cave wheat: Little soil and some water, makes flour or some beer. Grows fine in outdoor soil. Good if you lack good soil.

Sweet pods: Needs alot of soil and water, makes alot of syrup, sugar or rum. Good if you have plentiful water and soil.

Pig Tails: Little soil and little water. Little ale but makes good amounts of cloth.

Quarry Bushes: No soil and little water, makes a decent amount of food but no booze. Good for places with little water.

Dimple Cups: Normal amount of soil and water, makes dye.

Cave moss: Only needs water, makes soil. Springs up on damp rock naturaly.

Black moss: Only grows on refuse, needs water. Produces a toxic extract, but is otherwise useless. Springs up on refuse naturaly.

[ September 29, 2007: Message edited by: Grek ]

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few agricultural suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 06:47:00 pm »

This sounds really interesting.  What's best about it is that it isn't overly complicated like most of the stuff that comes out of this forum.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

Simple it may be but there are some problems with the logic.

The cave mud is really quite convenient for farming. It washes in guaranteed once a year, all cave plants grow equally well on it. Still like you said, manual flooding leaving behind mud doesnt really make much sense, this river is clean enough to drink from so only big floods like the seasonal ones we get would be strong enough to wash up silt. Bringing soil in from the outside would not work for growing cave plants. Cave wheat is just that, wheat that grows in caves, it is completetly adapted to that enviroment.

What would make more sense is harvesting mud/silt FROM the seasonal flood and putting it where you want it to go in the fashion you described, as opposed to simply flooding empty ground. Dirt belongs outside with plants that need sunlight to grow.

On a related note, watering mushrooms as if they were sunflowers would just make them rot.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 08:42:00 pm »

quote:
Dirt belongs outside with plants that need sunlight to grow.

Mushrooms will grow on dirt. I've seen them do it.

quote:
On a related note, watering mushrooms as if they were sunflowers would just make them rot.

Commercialy grown mushrooms need watered 2-3 times a week. It says so right here: http://www.mushroominfo.com/grow/sixsteps.html

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 12:18:00 am »

You've obviously never grown mushrooms. All the watering is done to the compost you're spawning the mushrooms to, never ever ever ever do you want to add water to growing mycelium (mushroom tissue before it actually produces fruits), as all it will do is pool up and invite contaminations in the form of other molds and bacteria. You don't even really need to use compost necessarily. It's an optimal growing medium, but you can grow mushrooms on just about anything.

As long as whatever substrate (medium you grow on) you're using has enough moisture and nutrients in it, and the humidity in the area the mushrooms are actually fruited in is kept at a high relative humidity (usually as close to 100% as can be attained while still allowing ample fresh air exchange, as mushrooms produce co2 and need o2 to fruit) then they'll grow, no problem.

I'm a bit of an amateur mycologist, so I know what I'm talking about, and I've grown all kinds of the little buggers. It's a wonderful hobby, and a lot easier to do than you'd think.

[ September 30, 2007: Message edited by: Skeeblix ]

This is not a signature.

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 01:03:00 am »

Seems we have some mushroom growing experts on this forum...

>.> <.< >.>

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 01:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Felix the Cat:
<STRONG>Seems we have some mushroom growing experts on this forum...

>.> <.< >.></STRONG>

Not even close to being an expert, but I do my fair share of fungus cultivation. It's nice to not have to go to the store for something I can do at home by myself in my spare time. Not to mention the satisfaction that comes with knowing you produced something on your own.

This is not a signature.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 01:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Felix the Cat:
<STRONG>Seems we have some mushroom growing experts on this forum...

>.> <.< >.></STRONG>

These arent the shrooms your looking for >.> <.< >.>

Heh, i just read a lot  :p

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 01:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>

These arent the shrooms your looking for >.> <.< >.>

Heh, i just read a lot   ;)

This is not a signature.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Skeeblix:
[QB]You've obviously never grown mushrooms. All the watering is done to the compost you're spawning the mushrooms to, never ever ever ever do you want to add water to growing mycelium (mushroom tissue before it actually produces fruits), as all it will do is pool up and invite contaminations in the form of other molds and bacteria.

That is what I ment by watering the mushroom. Adding water to the compost.

quote:
You don't even really need to use compost necessarily. It's an optimal growing medium, but you can grow mushrooms on just about anything.

Most mushrooms aren't going to grow into soild rock. Thats why I suggested you need to use a substrate other than soild rocks that you dampen once a year.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »

Okay, I wasn't quite sure where it was you were headed with it, but yeah I can see composting being something to implement.
This is not a signature.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 02:22:00 pm »

Anyone doubting that fungus can grow anywhere should reflect on the amazing places mildew turns up. I'm beginning to think that as long as it's nominally organic, fungus will grow on it.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 05:00:00 pm »

mildew is a mold not a fungus!

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 09:13:00 pm »

But the funny part is, molds ARE fungi. :O
This is not a signature.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 04:58:00 pm »

I say the game needs slime-mold as a harvestable resource to eat. It should grow on rough stone walls, like a weed...  :)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.
Pages: [1] 2