Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarven mass suicide & bonus questions  (Read 2547 times)

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven mass suicide & bonus questions
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 06:25:24 am »

To expand on that, dragons are immune to dragonfire, not to magma or regular fire. Even though he may think he is.(Actually, everything thinks it is immune to fire)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 03:23:11 pm »

The only dragon I ever encountered was burned to death by a conflagration it started. This was in a warm or hot climate with heavy vegetation. 

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 03:42:27 pm »

Question for the experienced: does drafting migrants work? As in, can you then go to the squads (x) menu and order them to hang out near the edge of the map?

Or, maybe you could designate a meeting hall somewhere away from the GCS. Although that would mean animals and jobless dwarves would run out there too, but if there's nothing too unmanageable besides the GCS around, shouldn't be too much of a prob.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

pytor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 01:57:35 pm »

Another day, another question. Having a lil problem trying to build two small towers next to my moat for my marksdwarves to fire on enemies from.

Screenshot:

Why are my masons refusing to build the two sections of wall that are highlighted? Both towers are mirror images of each other, so I don't understand why the top one built okay and the lower one didn't. There is clear access to those tiles, the materials are available, but my masons all show as having No Job. I've tried cancelling and re-designating the walls to be built and my masons still seem to just ignore them. I'm not sure what's going on. Anyone?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 02:17:29 pm »

Um, yep.

They can't reach them.  It's a basic problem - you have to build corners first.  Since you weren't trying to do it, the top was completed by blind luck. You really should read the wiki on "tower" - it has a step by step, and some other warnings and pro-tips that will get you where you want to go.

Question for the experienced: does drafting migrants work? As in, can you then go to the squads (x) menu and order them to hang out near the edge of the map?

No - there is a "down time" where migrants don't respond to your orders, usually ample to get them to your fortress (or into whatever trouble they will find along the way).

Or, maybe you could designate a meeting hall somewhere away from the GCS. Although that would mean animals and jobless dwarves would run out there too, but if there's nothing too unmanageable besides the GCS around, shouldn't be too much of a prob.

This would work, with the drawbacks you list.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:21:43 pm by Albedo »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 02:39:21 pm »

Walls can only be built orthogonally, not diagonally.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 06:57:20 am »

If I were to draft a bunch of my peasantry (say, a dozen or more) and just make them spar until they became Legendary wrestlers, then lowered the drawbridge and hurled them at the dragon, how likely would they be to kill it?

I once had a dragon get into on of my forts. I tend to play without a military and my cunning plan for that fort had failed. Dwarves were dying by the dozen. What I did was go through the military menu and draft EVERYONE. After the loss of about another ten dorfs, the new recruits stopped approaching the cloud of smoke. I checked the units menu and the dragon was dead. Checking through the debris square by square, I eventually found a pile of dragon bones and a dragon skull. Maybe she was just kept in place and the flames of the burning booze and roasts in the stockpile burned her to death, or maybe, as I prefer to believe, my untrained recruits were set on fire and then, in the process of grappling with the beast, set her on fire themselves.

A slightly less honourable method of dealing with it would be to make an underground corridor of stone fall traps. Have a set of stairs built near the dragon to allow access and hope the idiot who builds it doesn't get roasted.

pytor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 12:37:07 pm »

Thanks for the help with the masonry issue. Here's yet another question!

I have a wrestler who I'm trying to train into a marksdwarf. In the course of training wrestling, he's pulled a sock off of another guy and now will not drop it. He can't pick up bolts to train with because of the sock (at least, I assume this is why he isn't training). I can't figure out how to get him to put the damn thing down.

I consulted the wiki, and see that it says that I can make him drop this "...by using the view command and going to the dwarf's inventory. Select each item you want the soldier to get rid of, then hit Enter to view it. Press d to mark it for dumping". (source)

This was actually one of the first things I tried...

...and it doesn't seem to work. He has been walking around for about half an hour still clinging onto this marked-for-dumping sock. Every once in a while he goes near the archery range, then wanders away again.

I picture him looking at the sock, then at the archery range, then back to the sock again, and thinking to himself, well, being a marksdwarf would be cool, but is it worth giving up gripping a sock for? Clearly, to his mind, the answer is no.

How can I help this dwarf find the courage to cast this sock aside and move on with his military career?

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven mass suicide ;-(
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 07:28:23 pm »

That's the largest assortment of Dwarven corpses I've seen in a while.
I made a gigantic ice tower on a cold map, starting from underground in the middle of a frozen lake.
When it thawed out, all the ice melted. I thought smoothing it stopped that :(
6-z level tower, filled with dwarves, suddenly collapsed as the supports turned into water.
Fortress population went from 140 to 16. All of which became miserable and suicide'd.
nearly 130 corpses all lying at the bottom of a lake. A truly dwarven sight. Sorry for any thread derailment.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 11:49:52 pm »

How can I help this dwarf find the courage to cast this sock aside and move on with his military career?

Change his armor back and forth from chain/plate to clothes, until he drops it.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2009, 02:22:29 am »

Just recently a migrant wave appeared and ran straight into a gang of no-good naked zombie moledogs for me.

5 out of 8 snuffed it. I rallied the entire fortress and took ALL the moledogs out and I don't mean for dinner and dancing. If I hadn't dragged my feet and killed them off earlier, this wouldn't have been an issue... so that's my advice.

You don't know where immigrants will come from. So if there's danger at the edge of the map, dispose of it now instead of later... but with GCS it's hard to tell because they stay hidden until triggered.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]