Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarven mass suicide & bonus questions  (Read 2550 times)

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven mass suicide ;-(
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 07:26:22 am »

Migrants respect traffic designations when pathing somewhere, as far as I know, but they will completely ignore it when spawning at the map edge, a high traffic edge tile appears to have the same chance as a restricted tile.

As for op, use the last dwarf to make a magmaduct over to where the spider is, then have him take his revenge by burning the spider with the liquid goodness.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

pytor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven mass suicide ;-(
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 09:49:31 am »

Thanks everyone for the responses to the original post. Having set up a second fortress, I've run into another problem, which I figured I would post in this thread to avoid cluttering the forum.

The problem is this: I brought a bunch of turtle with me on embark in order to generate bones and shell, in case someone gets moody and demands some. However, the bones and shell get thrown on the refuse pile, where they rot. After fiddling around with the custom stockpile settings, I have managed to make a separate indoor stockpile for bones and shell only - but despite that, my dwarves are still walking outside to throw the bones and shell onto the 'general' refuse pile, ignoring the specific pile I have delineated. How can I make them use it?

Thanks again.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven mass suicide & bonus questions
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 11:39:32 am »

Change the settings on your outdoor refuse pile to not accept bones, skulls, shells, or fresh raw hides (which, collectively, are the only "refuse" you generally want to ensure gets preserved).

Similarly, your indoor refuse pile should only accept bones, skulls, and shells. Leave the fresh raw hides at the butcher's so they can be taken straight to the tanner's.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 11:40:05 am »

First make the indoor refuse pile, then set it to -not- allow remains, which means chunks and vermin.

Then make an outside pile, which is set to only allow remains, and if you're butchering, rotten leather.

This way you will not lose any bones, shells, or skulls.

That's how I do it at least, it seems to work 100%
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 05:07:19 pm »

You could also tell your indoor refuse pile to take from the outdoor one but that tends to result in extra hauling jobs as the dwarves drag stuff to first one pile and then the other. 
(They are not smart enough to just go to the last stockpile in the chain.)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

pytor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 03:33:21 am »

The advice for the advice on my last problem is much appreciated. Regrettably I now have another one (aside from the main one, which is that I can't stop playing this game):

I've created a good-sized fortress with indoor and outdoor refuse dumps as outlined above (thanks again). However, some corpses have appeared wayyyy over on the other side of the map - Olmman ones, I think? I don't know how they got there either, monster infighting? Anyway, the problem is that my dwarves are dropping everything and running all the way across the map to grab these olm corpses and lug them back again specifically to deposit them in our personal refuse pile. This is intensely annoying as it is, but my main concern is that if they keep this up, they will eventually meet whatever it is that did away with the olmmen.

Is there a way in which I can forbid an area rather than certain objects so that my dwarves know that those corpses are just fine where they are, and if any more appear, to leave them be? Thanks as always.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 03:35:06 am by pytor »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 04:02:46 am »

You can forbid everything currently in an area with <d,b,f> (then make a rectangle as if you were designating mining etc.).  However, you cannot forbid the area itself as such.  You could instead change the setting in the orders menu at <o,F,o> (capitalization matters) to forbid ALL future non-hunted corpses that are not of your civilization, and there is also <o,F,t> to forbid the items on those corpses, though I think the latter defaults to being set to forbidden.  Or you could forbid refuse from outside with <o,r,o>.  I think that defaults to dwarves ignoring refuse from outside, but you've probably turned it back to dwarves gathering refuse from outside at some point.

pytor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 04:22:52 am »

OK, after tinkering with the refuse settings I've managed to get them to ignore the corpses. They keep running over to that area though (and getting scared off by a cave crocodile), and after looking through the cancellation announcements, they are all trying to "Store item in stockpile".

Here is a picture of the area:

I assume it is the spider silk they're going for...? How can I permanently stop them trying to collect it? (I realise if it is the silk, I could just forbid those particular pieces of it, but then if there's a spider over there then at some point it's going to generate more at which point they'll go and try to collect that - no?)

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 04:55:29 am »

I think that they are after is what seems to be vermin remains in that picture (as vermin leave remains when they get caught in spider webs).  Try disallowing the item type "remains" from your main refuse pile, though this will mean that if you have a cat killing vermin, the dwarves will just leave its kills wherever the cat drops them.  You COULD instead try physically sealing off the area, since there's only one small entrance to it.  Be careful that you don't get a dwarf stuck on the wrong side of a wall.  You could use a door in the middle of the wall and then forbid it when you're done, since I don't think the creatures there will wander.  Also, designate the slopes (which are basically natural ramps) near the opening for removal before you try to seal it off.

You can keep them from gathering webs with <o,W,w>, but they only gather webs when you have built a loom, and the task is not "store item in stockpile", I believe, so I don't think that's what's happening.

pytor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 11:03:34 am »

Thanks again Malicus.

Another question!

In this latest fortress, I'd kind of been slacking with my military as I hadn't seen so much as a goblin since embarking. After a couple of years, I had six guys who were just beginning to train crossbows when all of a sudden a dragon shows up. I raised my drawbridge and tried to keep training them until I thought they were ready to have a go at it, but I've burned through nearly all my logs already and they're still only in the Novice/No-label competency range. Obviously I am not about to send anyone outside to try and obtain more logs.

If I were to draft a bunch of my peasantry (say, a dozen or more) and just make them spar until they became Legendary wrestlers, then lowered the drawbridge and hurled them at the dragon, how likely would they be to kill it?

pytor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 08:23:43 pm »

I'm sorry to double-post here, I just thought I would bump this back onto the first page to try and get a quick answer as to whether it is worth taking a shot at this dragon with only wrestlers.

I've googled for information and read the dragon entry in the wiki, which says that it is 'possible' to take down a dragon with 'even as few as 8' soldiers, though it recommends a preponderance of skilled marksdwarves, which I do not have. Given the firebreathing nature of the dragon I have no idea whether sending a large force of legendary wrestlers out to melee it will result in probable victory or guaranteed annihilation. Any pointers for me? It is still lurking outside my fortress and I am scared to unpause the game. I can see murder in its eyes :(

Dead Winter Reigns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 02:26:44 am »

The marksdwarf skill is useful. However, the stats you gain from legendary wrestling, and decent armor/shield use, can make up for that lack.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 03:34:09 am »

I'd suggest you set at least 15 wrestlers on it, not that you really need that many, as legendary wrestlers will be able to dodge almost everything the dragon does(So 10 should be enough), but with wrestlers, they hold down the opponent, and 15 dwarves hold things better then 10. Just don't get them hit by fire breath, and if they do, station them in water/make them walk through water/drop them into water.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 03:38:50 am »

Expanding on that: make them fight the dragon in a lake. That should take care of getting set on fire, although I'm sure they'll still take damage from the breath.

Only problem is they'll have to be decent swimmers first...
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 04:39:58 am »

a previous post is still applicable, make a large 'tap' over your entry to rain molten death on teh [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] bastard
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3