Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The MUSE Rant - An Epic Band  (Read 4388 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: The MUSE Rant - An Epic Band
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2009, 09:38:13 am »

You listen to korn, greenday and linkin park.
A lot of the bands on there are good, and muse aren't bad, but those three invalidate all musical opinions of yours for ever and ever.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2009, 11:19:03 pm »

Meh, their new album disappointed me. Glad I torrented it before buying. In fact I don't even think it deserves hard drive space on my computer.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2009, 12:56:46 am »

Bwahahhaha.

Awww man. Your rant brings back memories. I discovered Floyd once.

"Dude! You HAVE to listen to this shit!"
"Hmm? Oh yea. You live under a rock or something?"

Hmmm, while I'm here, anyone ever find some decent Floyd inspired bands? Listening to muse now. Sounds similar to radiohead, or at least what links actually work. Not quite as mellow as I like, but very good.

EDIT:
LOL. Between Aug 22 and now: This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Warner Music Group.

Ugh. I have to dig up my old albums now.

Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
Run, rabbit run.
Dig that hole, forget the sun
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:15:06 am by Idiom »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2009, 01:30:48 am »

And when at last the work is done,
don't sit down.  It's time to dig another one.

Well, you could try the Australian Pink Floyd Band.  Not so much "inspired by" as it is "performing all their stuff".

I also saw some videos of Dream Theater performing some stuff, so there seems to be a slight connection there.  I haven't listened too much to them however, so I can't really say much of their other music.  I can say, however, that if you're looking for "mellow" then they're probably the wrong band for you.

However, as one Floydian to another, I have to make sure that you have Obscured by Clouds in your collection, along with the essential bigguns (Dark Side, Wall, Animals, Wish).  If you don't, I urge you to head over to YouTube and check out Free Four and Childhood's End, both wonderful songs from that album.

"The Gold It's In The..." is also an interesting item from Obscured.  Not much like standard Pink Floyd at all.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2009, 01:42:17 am »

I have all their albums. The Final Cut you forgot. Very underrated, though not phenomenal.

It's not quite the "mellow". Hell, radiohead can be pretty "mellow" too... I really liked the sound they established for most of the band's eras (which was an impressive feat given the internal turmoil they had). It's mostly a mellow almost depressing somber tone, even in some of their rockin tracks, but always with some variety. Always loved their singers. Muse is leaning more towards the modern metal, but I can hear the creative depth to their stuff that I liked in a lot of the bigger Floyd hits.

There's a surprising number of Floyd covers. They more or less all suck from what I've found, but I'll google around for the Dream Theatre. I'll be waiting for someone to fill in the hole Floyd left in my heart remembrin' games and days of chains of laughs forever.

The Wall should be adapted to Broadway. I wish.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:52:14 am by Idiom »

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2009, 02:21:38 am »

Ah, a lot of good bands here.

And thanks for posting that Cthulhul. That song serious scared the hell out of me.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2009, 04:35:02 am »

Cthulhu...

You made my soul wince with that song.
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2009, 03:14:38 pm »

I found a more epic band.

Listen to this.

I take back everything bad I've ever said about country.

My soul just set aflame and shriveled into cinders.

Speaking of Dream Theatre, I'm going to see them in Manchester on October the 9th, along with Unexpect, Bigelf, and the Heirs Apparent of prog metal, Opeth.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2009, 11:25:55 pm »

Haven't heard their new album but it sounds like I need to.

Anyway, the same day their new thing dropped, so did Porcupine Tree's new album. PT is the best band on the planet by a couple miles, so I went to get that one. Also got the Mars Volta's new thing, which is also tight. Anyway, if you like Muse you'll probably like Porcupine Tree. Pick up The Incident, or one of their older albums (In Absentia's always a safe bet). They're touring right now...I'm seeing them tomorrow  ;D so check 'em out.

Oh yeah, and to the guy talking about Pink Floyd...one section of PT's new album is partly a homage to Pink Floyd; it's a song about nostalgia and there are a couple clear musical references to Animals and some lyrical references to DSOTM and WYWH. Kind of a funny development, since the lead singer/mastermind Steve Wilson used to hate being compared to Pink Floyd; he didn't want to be thought of as derivative. Now he's less insecure about that (since he's been making the most original albums in pop music for like ten years) and he's ok with giving a tribute to Pink Floyd since he liked them as a kid I guess.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:28:19 pm by Jude »
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]