Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding caves - A new adventurers problem  (Read 2569 times)

Randomonioum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding caves - A new adventurers problem
« on: September 19, 2009, 09:47:21 am »

Right, I've played dwarf fortress for a while, and I have only just started playing the adventure mode. Great fun, but I have a problem. I hear a lot about caves, and them containing megabeasts, and other Fun things, but I can never seem to find them. Is there a special way of going about it, or is it all luck? I know this is a common question, but I can't find an answer anywhere, and this is quite annoying.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:52:29 am by Randomonioum »
If you gave them a biome then the Elves may indeed start turning up with Wagons in cages.
Well, it does tie in to the fact that personality-wise, dragons are nothing more than gigantic, scaly, firebreathing cats.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Finding caves - A new adventurers problem
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 10:00:55 am »

Step one, if you have a quest, press the z or q, what ever it was, then a map pops up, or you can press t and start traveling, then press > to stop

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 10:05:30 am »

Right, I've played dwarf fortress for a while, and I have only just started playing the adventure mode. Great fun, but I have a problem. I hear a lot about caves, and them containing megabeasts, and other Fun things, but I can never seem to find them. Is there a special way of going about it, or is it all luck? I know this is a common question, but I can't find an answer anywhere, and this is quite annoying.

There's an option at worldgen to set caves to be revealed

Barring that, ask around in towns for quests. More likely than not there's a megabeast or semimega nearby just for you to kill.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 01:04:48 pm »

Barring that, ask around in towns for quests. More likely than not there's a megabeast or semimega nearby just for you to kill.

Actually, more likely than not, "We are quite untroubled here."
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 01:38:29 pm »

I stop all my worldgens between 50 to 170 years. I barely get that message anymore. :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Randomonioum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 04:53:29 pm »

Stopping worldgens seems like a good idea. More beasties for my fortresses too!
If you gave them a biome then the Elves may indeed start turning up with Wagons in cages.
Well, it does tie in to the fact that personality-wise, dragons are nothing more than gigantic, scaly, firebreathing cats.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 04:25:58 pm »

The legendary lands mod has some workaround that fixes the megabeast extinction by making them more powerfull during worldgen, which results in more interesting worlds to play in. Great fun, but my adventurers have however not lasted long in this mod, as I keep running into implords and the like, great fun though.