Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortresses in Adventure Mode  (Read 1830 times)

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortresses in Adventure Mode
« on: September 03, 2009, 01:18:10 pm »

I've been working on a massive project for a fortress, complete with underground farms, tree-farms, catacombs, beautiful rooms for the original seven, a massive grand hall, etc. etc. I want to mess around with Adventure mode in this world that I've created, and more importantly, I want to explore my grand fortress once I'm finished with it.

My grand hall is cut off from the rest of the fortress by a large indoor moat (which took an absurd amount of time to finish considering all the pumps and whatnot) with a platinum bridge spanning it, and then steel floodgates to seal the entrance.

My plan for leaving this fortress, because there's almost no way my military is going to be defeated, is to allow a large goblin siege to come. I'll leave some last-stand guards at the front gate (also massive), and pull the rest of my dwarves back into the sanctuary of the grand hallway, sealing them off by raising the bridge and closing the gates. Now I've already made a large stockpile of food, booze, artifacts and jewels that are only accessible from the grand hall. I've also made a complicated system of lever activated thing-a-majigs that will allow my adventurer to access the hall, without exposing it to gobbos.

Now here comes the magic question. What will happen to the dwarves I seal up? Will they disappear? Will they need to consume a whole bunch of food before my adventurer arrives? If they survive, will they be hostile toward me? Will I be able to talk to them? And most importantly, will I be able to recruit some of my military legends to join my party?

Thanks, I know that's a lot of questions to handle, but this is serious business.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortresses in Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:28:00 pm »

If you abandon while the gobbos are around and you're in siege mode, almost everyone will be wiped out/some may be able to run away like losing a town in historical legends mode.

If you abandon while gobbos are not around, your dwarves will wander the world and settle elsewhere, you can find them in adventure mode if you're fast enough/lucky.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 05:17:21 pm »

If you abandon while the gobbos are around and you're in siege mode, almost everyone will be wiped out/some may be able to run away like losing a town in historical legends mode.

If you abandon while gobbos are not around, your dwarves will wander the world and settle elsewhere, you can find them in adventure mode if you're fast enough/lucky.
I've got a good question to add to his.

Will any other groups take over use of the fort, Or will it simply be abandoned and useless without your guidance?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 05:25:22 pm »

I've got a good question to add to his.

Will any other groups take over use of the fort, Or will it simply be abandoned and useless without your guidance?

As far as I know:

Monsters.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 05:43:51 pm »

So even if I lock them in, they'll leave?

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 08:20:17 pm »

So even if I lock them in, they'll leave?

They'll leave no matter what. A berserk dwarf might hang around but everyone else will flee; if you leave during peace your dwarves will leave and you can usually find them as a migration group but during siege almost all will be killed no matter what; the part of DF that looks after 'Legends' cares none for the actual design of your fort.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 04:55:30 pm »

This sucks. But if they migrate to another city will I be able to interact with my dwarves?

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 06:39:48 pm »

This sucks. But if they migrate to another city will I be able to interact with my dwarves?

Yes, you can talk to them, and possibly even bring them along as allies if the circumstances are right.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 06:44:12 pm »

Yep. Not that they're usually that interesting.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 05:19:53 am »

Abandon the fortress and then make an adventurer using the Play Now! option.
You'll start naked and untrained in your old fort.  All your dwarves will still be there, but scattered everywhere. 

Next kill that adventurer and a make a new one the regular way.  When he travels to your fort, the dwarves will still be there even though it's a year later. So will any enemies or merchants/diplomats that were on your map when you abandoned. 

You can also use this to keep dwarves at your fort before reclaiming.  They'll be standing around as friendly @s who don't really do anything.    A fun trick is to abandon, Play Now!, reclaim, abandon, Play Now!, reclaim, etc. etc. to fill a fort with hundreds of army-dwarves and guards. 

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 02:30:33 pm »

Thanks for the tip Grackle, that's going to be really helpful. Does doing that influence your ability to interact with your dwarves in Adventure mode in any way?

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:53:47 pm »

Grackle, if that's true....
then I'm building a massive kobold civilization to mow through :D

IronBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 07:22:08 pm »

Also, don't forget to put any goodies you may want as an adventurer into the heaviest bins you can make. This will minimize the chance of them scattering after abandonment.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 05:46:24 am »

Yeah.  B/C the dwarves abandoned, they don't think they're at home.  So they don't answer questions or give quests or anything but they'll still tell you about their families.  IDK about joining an adventurer's party.  Upside: they don't seem to care if you steal stuff. 

In Fort mode, they don't even mill around, which I was hoping for. The wiki said they go to meeting areas, but that doesn't seem to be the case (but maybe in adv. mode they do).  Mostly they just stand their like statues, getting in the way of where you want to build stuff.  They will defend themselves though, and reveal ambushes. 

----
I thought of another thing with the abandon/reclaim trick.  Since you're not really going to stay in the fort long term, you could bring along like 1000 logs or lots of steel bolts each time.  When i do this with my fort, I think I'm gonna stock up on cobaltite and bauxite and other minerals that aren't native to the map.