Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Squad addition: "non-lethal sparring" + traini  (Read 1433 times)

Re: Squad addition: "non-lethal sparring" + traini
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by John Johnston:
<STRONG>For a long-haul training regime, I go for:

Give dwarfs the best armour you have.
Train dwarf to very high skill in wrestling and armour.
Give dwarfs the best shields you have.
Train dwarf to decent skill with shield.
Give dwarfs the best weapons you have.
Train dwarf with weapon.

To work well without causing injuries, but it does take a long time.  Worth it though!  It would be nice to have the opportunity to manufacture/use rebated weapons though, definitely, or perhaps to have "target mannequins", like Archery Targets but for practice with dangerous melee weapons.</STRONG>

This can be dangerous though, if they're sparring with a poorly equipped\trained dwarf, they'll have the stat boost and no weapon skill to murder by accident.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 08:30:00 pm »

First, YES, making it easier to train with training weapons is a feature we very much need!

Second, the system already works for crossbow bolts.  Just as they refuse to shoot up the metal ammo, Dwarves should refuse to spar with anything better than 50% damage weapons (wood, silver, etc.).  If you want your Dwarves to spar you must give them the right tools, just like with crossbow bolts.

Problem solved, using existing precedent.  Now instead of having to micro stockpiles and locked doors you have to build or buy your way out of the problem just like with crossbow bolts.  This solution is also a lot more, err, "Dwarf-like" than microing locked doors and stockpiles.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

Huh, that's great, actually, FD. Here's hoping it'll be slid in here sometime soon.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Funkadelic Jive Turkey:
<STRONG>

This can be dangerous though, if they're sparring with a poorly equipped\trained dwarf, they'll have the stat boost and no weapon skill to murder by accident.</STRONG>

True, but the other dwarf will have the armor and shield skill to stop it.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »

code:
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_TRAINING]
   [NAME:bokken:bokken]
   [DAMAGE:100:BLUDGEON]
   [WEIGHT:30]
   [SKILL:SWORD]
   [TWO_HANDED:4]
   [MINIMUM_SIZE:4]
   [MATERIAL_SIZE:3]

[REACTION:WEAPON_TRAINING]
   [NAME:fabricate training weapon]
   [SMELTER]
   [REAGENT:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:NO_MATGLOSS]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_TRAINING:WOOD:OAK]

This lets your dwarves smelt logs into oaken training swords.  By what arcane smelting process do they do it?  Hell if I know!

Bonus:  They're always of basic quality.  No masterworks.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

Looks good, Earthquake Damage. I think the game definitely needs training (wooden) staffs or some kind of weapon that won't kill your dwarves. I've had one guard suffocate from sparring (wrestling wound, presumably) and a couple more wounded. Plus, healing is so primitive.

I've a legendary craftsdwarf ("very tough") who has a yellow lower leg wound. It's apparently never going to heal. He got out of bed and made an artifact, but now he's back in bed. The dwarves don't put him in his own bed (which I rather dislike) and I guess there's no hope of saving him. It just doesn't make much sense, considering he can walk. Where is the doctor profession when I need it? ;p

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>

True, but the other dwarf will have the armor and shield skill to stop it.</STRONG>

Not if you keep drafting newbies.  And since I like to have a standing force of 25% or more of my population as soon as I can support it, that means newbies with every immigrant wave.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nunix:
<STRONG>..a simple weapon made of one wood + one cloth, made in craftsdwarf workshop, does 10% damage. Training axe, training spear, et cetera. </STRONG>
Yes on training weapons, but no on 10% damage.  50% is as low as I'd want to go with the base weapon.

No matter how you pad a weapon, if it handles like the real thing, then it can hurt someone.  Badly.  Not as badly as the real thing would, no not nearly.  But still.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrax:
<STRONG>Yes on training weapons, but no on 10% damage.  50% is as low as I'd want to go with the base weapon.

No matter how you pad a weapon, if it handles like the real thing, then it can hurt someone.  Badly.  Not as badly as the real thing would, no not nearly.  But still.</STRONG>

That's true, but this is meant to be a training weapon. When you spar, you probably aren't going to actually be fighting with the weapons, just "pretending"  and coming close to hitting, so 10% would be better, I say.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>

Not if you keep drafting newbies.  And since I like to have a standing force of 25% or more of my population as soon as I can support it, that means newbies with every immigrant wave.</STRONG>

That's exactly why I just implemented a multiple-barraks system. Where each of my three (will be six once I reach a population of 200+) watchtowers has within it a barracks, a food stockpile, and a drink stockpile. Every tier of recruits get's locked into the tower and totally seperated from the rest of the fortress untill they are able to handle themselves decently enough to spar with the champions. One of the towers has archery targets where the brin damaged are allowed to skill up marksmanship.

In the half a year since the implementation of this system, my yellow+ injuries per season has gone down from an average of two to zero. Of course, this was only implemented after I lost a legendary bowyer turned wrestler to an elite. (I nearly cried when I saw what happened. -.- poor Kogan. At least his bedroom was suitable for my naitivly Legendary Stonecrafter.)

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 [2]