Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else having this problem? Lazy broker.  (Read 704 times)

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone else having this problem? Lazy broker.
« on: August 23, 2009, 12:31:01 pm »

My broker refuses to trade. Every time the caravan comes I remove all of his jobs and set the depot to need broker, the depot is accessible and he is unwounded yet every time he just chain sleeps, drinks, and eats over and over until the caravan leaves. Three years in a row now. I even remove broker only to get other dwarves to do it and they also refuse. I've tried switching brokers but it also doesn't work.

I REALLY need to trade too, considering I have a ton of gold, silver, platinum, and obsidian crafts but only small deposits of copper for weapons and armor.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else having this problem? Lazy broker.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 12:32:42 pm »

Use b-anyone may trade when they're on break of some sort.

Hire the first person who goes there as the new broker.

Considering making the broker have no job at all.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 12:53:46 pm »

This is a common problem, really.  Unfortunately, it's really down to near-pure luck; sometimes your broker will make a beeline for the depot, sometimes (and fairly often) they'll dawdle and get caught up in other things, even if brokering is the only thing they have assigned.  The best you can do is try to give them a house and dining room as close as possible to the depot; it's not foolproof, but it does limit the chance that they get hungry, thirsty, or sleepy during the walk there.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 01:43:10 pm »

Trading at the depot, for some reason, has a lower in-game priority than any other job, so if your broker has anything else to do, they'll do it instead of trade. You can prevent everything except Eat/Drink/Sleep by removing all of the broker's labors and drafting them if they go on break or join a party. For the rest, there should be enough time in one caravan cycle for the broker to satisfy all of his bodily needs, at which point he'll not have a choice but to go trade.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 02:11:30 pm »

Does the broker's personality effect all this? If you choose someone who is efficient and doesn't procrastinate, will s/he be more likely to get the job done?
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 07:36:37 pm »

Is there a way to edit how important trading is in the job-list? I always want to be able to pick a job from the large list and tap a key that makes it say 'I AM MAX PRIORITY, DO ME NOW'....

Why IS trading so low on the list anyway? It dosent get done much, but when its selected, it genrrally NEEDS to be done.