Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Wilderness  (Read 4237 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wilderness
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 04:48:23 am »

Clarification: You personally may or may not be able to survive a week in the wilderness but it really isn't worth arguing about.

Further clarification: So stop.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:51:23 am by Jackrabbit »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 04:59:30 am »

I would never do something like this.  I've been camping a million times, and it sucks.  It's boring and there's bugs and the food's dirty and everything smells and the ground is hard and anything that would really entertain me I could do at home just as easily.  I like hiking and such and go out into woods all the time, but never longer than just for the day, because I like sleeping on not ground.

I used to think about what it would be like to just tromp out into the wilderness indefinitely, but all I could ever plan to do was build enough shelter that it wouldn't really be wilderness anymore.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 05:02:13 am »

So stop.
Notice I stopped? How responsible of me. (Oh my god what's happened to me?)

In reference to what Aquizzar said: I'd really like to make a civilisation in the wilderness. Somehow the idea of rudimentry stuff appeals to me.

Though I have also gone camping lots, and I love it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 05:06:00 am »

So stop.
Notice I stopped? How responsible of me. (Oh my god what's happened to me?)

In reference to what Aquizzar said: I'd really like to make a civilisation in the wilderness. Somehow the idea of rudimentry stuff appeals to me.

Though I have also gone camping lots, and I love it.

I noticed. High five my friend!

I enjoy camping quite a lot, though afterward I'm never sure why. Really. Still, going all Robinson Crusoe is beyond me and I have no illusions about that. I'd die, hard.

Still, it'd be fun to know how I'd act in such a scenario.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 05:07:26 am »

My hunting trips used to sometimes turn into camping trips, and by camping I mean leaning sitting against a tree camouflaged and half asleep ready to snap awake and shoot anything that comes near.

Thinking about it it's a good thing I never accidentally shot anyone.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 05:09:28 am »

I can just imagine that.

Dear God I hope I never stumble across you should I ever go hunting.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 05:12:49 am »

And that is exactly why I'm not a hunter.  I'm way too damn impatient.  It took me and my Dad years, literally years, to finally twig to why hunters sit silently in one spot waiting for something to happen by.  Because that's how you hunt, I think I understand now.

That kind of methodological approach has no place in our strategy.  If an animal doesn't blunder by while we're tromping through briers and carving faces into trees with bullets, we're not going to find it.  We greatly prefer sedentary, not-effected-by-noise game like landed ducks, spiders, and beer cans.

Thinking about it, it's pretty amazing neither of us has ever accidentally shot anyone either considering how often (i.e. always) we go out with guns loaded up when we ourselves are loaded up.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2009, 05:13:21 am »

I, personally, wouldn't hunt with a gun - it doesn't appeal to me.

Bows however.

NOTE TO SELF BUY BOW

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 05:17:00 am »

I preferred to stalk and track rather than trap... More involved. But sometimes I'd stay out too long and I'd just wait out the night like I described.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 05:20:09 am »

And that is exactly why I'm not a hunter.  I'm way too damn impatient.  It took me and my Dad years, literally years, to finally twig to why hunters sit silently in one spot waiting for something to happen by.  Because that's how you hunt, I think I understand now.

That kind of methodological approach has no place in our strategy.  If an animal doesn't blunder by while we're tromping through briers and carving faces into trees with bullets, we're not going to find it.  We greatly prefer sedentary, not-effected-by-noise game like landed ducks, spiders, and beer cans.

Thinking about it, it's pretty amazing neither of us has ever accidentally shot anyone either considering how often (i.e. always) we go out with guns loaded up when we ourselves are loaded up.
And that's why you hunt the south queensland way.

1. High powered ute.
2. Blinding floodlights.
3. People in back with guns.

Only needs two people for a successful hunt, though three or more is better. (One to move the floodlight.)
Shine it at things so that they stop in shock, stop the ute, the rifleman snipes, and drive over to pick up the kill.

Where's the sport in that? Senseless killing, combined with high powered vehicles.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 01:26:36 pm »

My friend basically did that, took off for Alaska to do some kind of conservation thing with Americorps. He's supposed to get back this month. if he doesn't, I'm pretty sure he's going to end up like the guy from Into the Wild.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2009, 01:33:17 pm »

You guys can keep your wilderness.
I prefer a nice warm room with comfy chairs and books.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 02:55:51 pm »

I like camping. I don't like getting hurt, though.
The first time I went camping, I rolled down a small hill and got really bruised. The hill happened to have an ~20 foot drop down to a road which went down the mountain. :(
The second time, I got a deep cut which got infected.
The third time, nothing happened surprisingly. I'm afraid to go camping again, though.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009, 03:28:15 pm »

Always hated camping trips like along with exercise, I even have trouble spending time regularly in the rular areas nowadays.
But hey, I have lots of time to get used to camp life when I start my six month obligatory armed service! In the middle of the Finnish winter!

Especially interesting will be the first recruit camp which everyone attends. It be will held in the infamous airport of Kiikala where - as the legend tells - always rains. It's improbable that there will be any snow though, due to global warming. But what we will have, is a lot of complete darkness (flashlights are banned by the way) and every two hours in the middle of the night someone will scream ALARM! and then everyone has to grab their guns and fight off the 'invaders' from the neighboring company. Best part will be if one of the blank firing adaptors falls off, easily causing someone to lose an eye (happens every now and then), or some dickhead decides to bring real ammo instead of blanks. Then it's death time ;D

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 04:08:34 pm »

Lots of responses  :o but yea I do a lot of hunting and fishing. I guess its to get away from all of the nonsense.
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 2 [3]