Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: how do you want the magic system to?  (Read 4589 times)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: how do you want the magic system to?
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2009, 02:48:04 pm »

-Magic, as a chaotic natural force, should screw with probabilities, physical laws, and time, in ways you can't really predict or fully contain, but sometimes abuse (ie the fountain you thought was healing everyone you brought near it suddenly starts replacing their brains with fluffy wamblers, or the steel battleaxes you so carefully equipped your squad with suddenly turn into dwarven syrup when you forge into the mysteriously named Candy Mountain)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPONTneuaF4

Yeah, it should basically be that terrifying.  Now I have to remember to create a scenario where Candy Mountain has the magical effect of taking your kidneys.  I love that that is going to be possible.

Basically agree with everything RedWarrior says.  At most, the real magic in Fort mode should be limited to maybe one wizard and one high priest.  And of course, they would be nobles, so most of the time you'd be more concerned with cleaning up their messes.  I also like the idea of getting a magic user of random race and talents.

I never really understood what leylines were supposed to be.  A bit too modern fantasy for my tastes, but the idea of areas with dangerously high concentrations of magic is appealing.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]