Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vote in "Eternal Suggestions"!  (Read 1682 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Vote in "Eternal Suggestions"!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 10:04:28 pm »

I think a major problem with a lot of the suggestions is lack of detail. Sure, Improved Hauling is popular, but is that covers anything at all related to carrying stuff and it's pretty much impossible that if Toady does do something to improve hauling everyone that voted will be satisfied. It's nearly as general as that "Improving the game!" suggestion. And the Graphics Support is the same, with no one really specifying what kind of graphics support it means.

Yea suggestions suffers from this problem, it seems that Draco18s is the originator of almost all of the top rated suggestions as he jumped on the system the first day it went up and copied over all the top suggestions from the forum threads that had discussing these things, it seems in his haste he rushed the descriptions and left out a lot of links but it's also very likely that the suggestions from those threads weren't well defined in the first place.

And on a more general note the suggestions have never been properly policed for proper narrowness, almost anything starting with the word "Improve" is going to be far too vague.  The improved Hauling suggestion is clearly just a combination of stack-merging/splitting and movable high capacity hauling containers each of which should have been it's own suggestion.  Underground Diversity was even worse, containing something on the order of 30 actual suggestions, it seems we got caves and cave creatures in the next update but theirs a lot their that could have been separate and has not been implemented yet.  The vaguest suggestion seems to consistently get the most votes (too a point of course, I'm glad to see "Improve the Game" hasn't proved very attractive).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:08:14 pm by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 11:01:07 pm »

Creature smelting, "Better handling of deceased units in the unit list," and a worldgen parameter for perfectly vertical cliffs are all I'm voting for until one of them gets in.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 09:32:45 am »

And on a more general note the suggestions have never been properly policed for proper narrowness, almost anything starting with the word "Improve" is going to be far too vague.  The improved Hauling suggestion is clearly just a combination of stack-merging/splitting and movable high capacity hauling containers each of which should have been it's own suggestion.  Underground Diversity was even worse, containing something on the order of 30 actual suggestions, it seems we got caves and cave creatures in the next update but theirs a lot their that could have been separate and has not been implemented yet.  The vaguest suggestion seems to consistently get the most votes (too a point of course, I'm glad to see "Improve the Game" hasn't proved very attractive).

I dunno... to a certain point 'Dwarves spend too much time hauling grains of sand, fix that' is a valid suggestion, whether the answer is stacking, wheelbarrows or dwarves using both hands.  UD certainly accomplished it's purpose... 'We want more stuff going on underground, here's a list of possibilities we think would work.'  Adding new stuff fixes that.  Anybody who doesn't get what they wanted could certainly resubmit.

What you're looking at is that, generally, perceived problems with the play get top billing, followed by things that will require whole arcs to change.  Compared to that, tight

That said, I can't imagine Toady not dividing votes by implimentation time before using them for anything.  Something with 30 votes may be at 100 on the list, but if it's something he wants to do and will take 1/20th the time of fixing hauling (and that's not an unlikely situation) it's a more valuable change to make.
Pages: 1 [2]