Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: food hauling  (Read 435 times)

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
food hauling
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:07:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't want this to rot! Is there a way I can assign someone to haul this specific item, like give that task priority?

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: food hauling
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:11:32 pm »

Did you try putting a peasant just on food-hauling duty?
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:24:10 pm »

Food hauling is REALLY low priority...as in, the dwarves would sooner let their food rot and then starve to death over hauling food to the stockpile literally a square away...

geo's right.  Assign someone, anyone, to ONLY food hauling.  You don't have to leave them there, but if the job needs to get done, force someone to do it.

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 10:31:36 pm »

After failing twice to haul it in time with every single one of my dwarves assigned only to food hauling, I forbid everything but it and it worked.
I love this game, I really do. But sometimes I fucking hate it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:23:32 pm »

I have the same problem (seriously, I have a thread about it on the front page). Dwarves will only haul food if they have nothing better to do, Toady has plans to change this via custom priorities before the game is actually released.

In the meantime, this problem will eventually be dealt with on it's own as your fortress grows. Once you can spare about 30 dwarves to do nothing but haul crap, there won't be anything left to haul but the food. One really good suggestion from the other thread was to build the kitchen in the middle of the prepared food stockpile. Since deconstructing buildings is a much higher priority task and food will not rot in the stockpiles, you can destroy them before they rot and designate a food stockpile underneath them, then either relocate the kitchen or remove the stockpile and wait for your dwarves to move it to the proper one. Being put in the stockpile will reset the rot timer I believe, so you probably won't lose it in that time.

Frustrating no?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 11:50:49 pm »

You can also put a garbage dump zone on top of a food stockpile and order the food to be dumped.  Then reclaim it and you've got stockpiled food.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 12:17:13 pm »

It has been my experience that jobs are prioritized in part based on where they are on the map.  Given two jobs of equal priority, the westernmost one will be done first.  In my experience if you place your kitchen on the westernmost edge of your fortress, the dwarves will prioritize removing food from the kitchen above other food-hauling jobs such as moving plants or seeds around.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 01:13:18 pm »

Interesting theory, and not one I would refute - I'll have to try it next time.

You have to make sure you have a stockpile that accepts Prepared Meals (a < u >, iirc, in the customizing menu).  PM's are not sorted by ingredients, so you can have a custom food stockpile that accepts no foods except PM's.  (I put mine directly adjacent/under my Dining Hall.)

The don't take "wear", so not being in barrels is not a problem.