Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Become a peasent  (Read 3687 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Become a peasent
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 06:04:06 pm »

I do think that for some professions you should be able to extrapolate time and effectively fast forward with a few extra options here and there. (Like skip time a month or season as if you worked, lived, and ate in that time period)

Especially since life as a chef played out at a day by day basis would drive me insane!

Hell, I would like to be a noble. Then I get to have people beaten savagely.

I'd rather make mandates and let the hammerdwarf administer punishment.  Muahaha!

You're forgeting the part where you get tricked into pulling the "Mandate-processing-lever".
 ;)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 06:25:10 pm »

Obligatory dev items stuff, for anyone who hadn't noticed this stuff is definitely in the works:

# ADVENTURER SKILLS ARC: It's nice to have all those jobs and professions sitting around in the dwarf mode. The adventurer should be able to do these things, especially those skills related to survival in the wilderness. Eventually you'll be able to place constructions, create a home and have your own site on the map. Related to Core84, Core85, Core86, Req32, Req34, Req99, Req107, Req168, Req236, Req302, Req327, Req491, Bloat160, Bloat317, Bloat380, PowerGoal9, PowerGoal15 and PowerGoal103.

# Core84, HUNTING AND GATHERING, (Future): You need to be able to obtain food from the wilderness and perform other tasks related to processing a hunted creature's body, trading with the a town perhaps but able to survive in the wilds. More abstract hunting on the travel view needs to be roughly equivalent to hunting only on the local view. You should be able to find signs of animals to help you out, and you should be able to gather any plants you find.

# Core85, CHOP, DIG, BUILD!, (Future): As an adventurer, chop down trees, dig channels, mine into a cliff face, build whatever structure you have the patience for. Your efforts should be saved as a proper site or at least some similar notion (whatever inns and so on along roads end up using), and the contents should remain relatively undisturbed with proper precautions.

# Core86, ADVANCED ADVENTURER SKILLS, (Future): Virtually every job available in dwarf mode should be available to you as an adventurer, though it might rely on town infrastructure, especially at first.

# Req236, ADVENTURE MODE BUILDING INTERACTIONS, (Future): Pickup and topple furniture. Plant seeds in the mud. Use the furnaces. Break windows and knock down supports. Using wells. Use siege engines. Deactivate, dismantle or set off traps. Use animal traps. Use archery targets and get feed back. Lock yourself or others up in cages and chains. Tie creatures up with rope. Interact with impaled players. Lock doors, push doors open briefly so you can see out before they close, secret doors, close doors, slam doors on vermin, lockpicking.

# Req302, ADVENTURER PROFESSIONS, (Future): Need to be able to tame the lizards you find, wood work, make clothes, whatever.

# Req327, CORPSE PROCESSING, (Future): Can process corpse to eat etc if you have a sharp object.

# PowerGoal9, BETTIN' ON FORGETTIN', (Future): You make a cabin in the woods, decorate it with hides and get a table with utensils so that you can dine like a king.

# PowerGoal15, REVENGE AND THE WILDERNESS, (Future): Lost in the cold woods naked, you succeed in using your skills in order to find and kill the person who left you that way, despite a beast stalking you, hunger, thirst and the elements.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 08:40:19 pm »

Adventure mode will eventually allow you to not only have almost every skill but will also remove the need to travel from town to town to make a living.

So your days of a peasant will happen... Though if people will treat you as such I have no idea.

That would be so awesome. Take an adventurer and go and become really bad ass, with crazy killer stats. Travel to a part of the world where no one has ever heard of you (or even better, has heard of you exploits but won't recognize you) and become a simple cook or something. Then if/when something comes to terrorize the town you can pull out your old adventuring gear and beat nine kinds of hell out of it. Then go back to making pies.

Hmmm.....I swear that there is a game with a system like this. I just don't remember that which game it is. It's an old RPG IIRC.

UnReal World? Wurm Online?

Arx Fatalis kinda did something like that... well, you could make pies, anyway, though you couldn't really do the whole live in a village and be a peasant thing.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 05:29:30 am »

I think it'd be pretty cool. For example as a fisher dwarf... Now don't kill me or anything for this, but I found myself for hours on end completely content doing this... but fishing like World of Warcraft... That or something to make it more... interesting. Instead of go to water. Enable fishing. Leave computer for 5 hours. Come back. OMG when did I die by carp?

Adding stuff to it in adventure mode to make you work to do the job. As you get better it gets easier and you learn new stuff. As if you were a chef, previous meals become easy to prepare and new meals become harder.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 07:42:34 am »

so you basically want it to be Rougelike/RTS to a Rougelike/RTS/RLsim?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 08:04:41 am »

Adventure mode will eventually allow you to not only have almost every skill but will also remove the need to travel from town to town to make a living.

So your days of a peasant will happen... Though if people will treat you as such I have no idea.

That would be so awesome. Take an adventurer and go and become really bad ass, with crazy killer stats. Travel to a part of the world where no one has ever heard of you (or even better, has heard of you exploits but won't recognize you) and become a simple cook or something. Then if/when something comes to terrorize the town you can pull out your old adventuring gear and beat nine kinds of hell out of it. Then go back to making pies.

Hmmm.....I swear that there is a game with a system like this. I just don't remember that which game it is. It's an old RPG IIRC.

UnReal World? Wurm Online?

Arx Fatalis kinda did something like that... well, you could make pies, anyway, though you couldn't really do the whole live in a village and be a peasant thing.

Nop, even tho I don't know wurm online...
While we are at it, UO had a quite interesting criminal system by the way. If you killed more players you became a criminal/murderer [PK], and the guards in the "lawful" cities attacked you. You could only buy items/reagents etc. in special unguarded cities. [We've called those "PK cities"]. It was hella fun to chase around murderers or vice versa... :D

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 09:08:30 am »

It's even already on Dev-next :

Adventurer Skills Preliminaries
I: Ways to obtain food while traveling (hunt/gather) (part of Core84)
II.A: Processing of corpses for more than meat (part of Core86)
II.B.1: Ability to chop down trees and dig (part of Core85)
II.B.2: Way to build shelter/home and ability to save it as a permanent site (part of Core85)

El Ruffianos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 10:43:08 am »

Imagine being able to build an inn or some sort of shop along a busy road. Adventurers come in for some food and a place to stay and you tell them the tale of how you had to fight off a pack of wolves as you chopped down trees to build the inn.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 10:50:37 am »

Imagine being able to build an inn or some sort of shop along a busy road. Adventurers come in for some food and a place to stay and you tell them the tale of how you had to fight off a pack of wolves as you chopped down trees to build the inn.
Tell them of a great dwarven vault in the nearby hills.

When they get there, you pull a lever that traps them in a deathpit. Collect their riches and return to the inn.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 06:11:52 pm »

Nop, even tho I don't know wurm online...
While we are at it, UO had a quite interesting criminal system by the way. If you killed more players you became a criminal/murderer [PK], and the guards in the "lawful" cities attacked you. You could only buy items/reagents etc. in special unguarded cities. [We've called those "PK cities"]. It was hella fun to chase around murderers or vice versa... :D

I had thought of UO later, but that obviously isn't it either...

Now I really want to know what it was too, sounds interesting :P
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 06:44:07 pm »

Obligatory dev items stuff, for anyone who hadn't noticed this stuff is definitely in the works:

# ADVENTURER SKILLS ARC: It's nice to have all those jobs and professions sitting around in the dwarf mode. The adventurer should be able to do these things, especially those skills related to survival in the wilderness. Eventually you'll be able to place constructions, create a home and have your own site on the map. Related to Core84, Core85, Core86, Req32, Req34, Req99, Req107, Req168, Req236, Req302, Req327, Req491, Bloat160, Bloat317, Bloat380, PowerGoal9, PowerGoal15 and PowerGoal103.

# Core84, HUNTING AND GATHERING, (Future): You need to be able to obtain food from the wilderness and perform other tasks related to processing a hunted creature's body, trading with the a town perhaps but able to survive in the wilds. More abstract hunting on the travel view needs to be roughly equivalent to hunting only on the local view. You should be able to find signs of animals to help you out, and you should be able to gather any plants you find.

# Core85, CHOP, DIG, BUILD!, (Future): As an adventurer, chop down trees, dig channels, mine into a cliff face, build whatever structure you have the patience for. Your efforts should be saved as a proper site or at least some similar notion (whatever inns and so on along roads end up using), and the contents should remain relatively undisturbed with proper precautions.

# Core86, ADVANCED ADVENTURER SKILLS, (Future): Virtually every job available in dwarf mode should be available to you as an adventurer, though it might rely on town infrastructure, especially at first.

# Req236, ADVENTURE MODE BUILDING INTERACTIONS, (Future): Pickup and topple furniture. Plant seeds in the mud. Use the furnaces. Break windows and knock down supports. Using wells. Use siege engines. Deactivate, dismantle or set off traps. Use animal traps. Use archery targets and get feed back. Lock yourself or others up in cages and chains. Tie creatures up with rope. Interact with impaled players. Lock doors, push doors open briefly so you can see out before they close, secret doors, close doors, slam doors on vermin, lockpicking.

# Req302, ADVENTURER PROFESSIONS, (Future): Need to be able to tame the lizards you find, wood work, make clothes, whatever.

# Req327, CORPSE PROCESSING, (Future): Can process corpse to eat etc if you have a sharp object.

# PowerGoal9, BETTIN' ON FORGETTIN', (Future): You make a cabin in the woods, decorate it with hides and get a table with utensils so that you can dine like a king.

# PowerGoal15, REVENGE AND THE WILDERNESS, (Future): Lost in the cold woods naked, you succeed in using your skills in order to find and kill the person who left you that way, despite a beast stalking you, hunger, thirst and the elements.

so what ur saying is that its allready in there?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 06:46:30 pm »

It's not in the game yet, but it's in the development notes, which means it will get implemented at some point.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 07:09:49 pm »

Making traps in adventure mode? :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can see it now...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:11:57 pm by zarmazarma »

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 09:07:46 am »

aah it would be so fun collecting taxes and they getting all pissed off because it got increased and go all berserk and rip Ur arm off and start attacking nobles with it.

and then you get fired and become a carpenter and you make a tree fall on a noble and then your chased out of the fort.(and with your wood working skills now)  you make a home a bit north of the fort and start planning for revenge on the evil people.

and you unsuddenly get immagrents arriving in your house,eating your food,sleeping in your room,taking your stuff,and then you go beserk and kill em all.

then you have a bounty on your head so you build a channel around your house so no one can bother you.

so pretty much,you become a enemy and get attacked from catapults and other stuff you have to deal with it and then you die.

so this happens about every hour so your having fun EVERY HOUR!
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: 1 [2]