Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rested up and good to go?  (Read 1378 times)

Chicostick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rested up and good to go?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 05:37:42 pm »

I'm fairly sure that if the lung is mangled, it won't heal. My last fort I had an axedwarf that got a mangled lung in a siege, and had it for the rest of the fort, at least 6 or 7 years. He was super tough so he rarely got winded though.

My current fort has a woodworker from my original seven that has a mangled lung as well. After a kobold ambush, he rested and healed his limbs, but his lung is still mangled. He's not tough enough to do anything though, I get spammed with "Urist Mcwinded cancels DRINK, unconcious." The dude can't even drink without going unconcious! I try and keep him from doing anything, half the time he goes unconcious and the job gets suspended, so when I go back to look at the progress on something I'd have a gaping hole in the wall or something.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 08:24:06 pm »

The dude can't even drink without going unconcious! I try and keep him from doing anything....
Promote him to pump operating, if he's not getting social skills.

Hard physical labour never killed a dwarf, so therefore it must make them stronger!
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 08:59:22 pm »

I am tired of my injured dwarf walking around wheezing all the time. I think next time she goes to sleep I'm just going to forbid her door.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 09:20:19 pm »

"Oh my, I am thirsty! But the door doesnt want me to open it! What to do, what to do!"

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 11:04:09 pm »

I've been told that an injured lung won't heal, because it's used to breathe and that interferes with the rest needed to heal. The wiki does not show this information, but I believe it. I have an injured soldier with a mangled lung and a bruised spine, and the lung hasn't healed for years in spite of her considerable toughness. Nothing is stuck in, so it's breathing that prevents the healing.

I do wonder however if her toughness went up enough, stratospherically high, if her lung might manage to flip to yellow if all the stars aligned right during a change of seasons. The lack of healing might simply be a matter of timing, and if so then if her toughness went through the roof she would theoretically have a small chance of healing the lung in between breaths.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 04:02:02 am »

Give the dude with the lung the position as hoardmaster.

Now tell him to get ALL ACCOUNTS ACCURATE and he'll spend every waking hour in an office. Soon he'll be a legendary accountant and with legendary comes all awesome benefits, he might just heal up.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 10:50:48 pm »

Give the dude with the lung the position as hoardmaster.

Now tell him to get ALL ACCOUNTS ACCURATE and he'll spend every waking hour in an office. Soon he'll be a legendary accountant and with legendary comes all awesome benefits, he might just heal up.

That's if my idea of a timing miracle holds water. In my case the injured dwarf is in the military and I'd rather leave her there, so I have her training up as a marksdwarf. I know that's slow-going but it's not like I'm going to assign her any other duty anyway.

I am very curious if this works though. It seems unlikely to me.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 08:37:31 am »

Dwarves gain stats when they gain XP, and bookkeeping means a steady stream of XP. If your dwarf is already tough enough to only get winded once in a while instead of turning blue and collapsing in agony every five minutes, then bookkeeping probably won't help much.

You might also want to use DC to look directly at the dwarf's stats if she's suffering more than her XP total would suggest. Most of the time the stat gains are fairly even, but sometimes one is vastly higher or lower than the other two.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]