Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rested up and good to go?  (Read 1380 times)

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rested up and good to go?
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:25:04 pm »

Well our story starts off with me not paying attention to what my dwarves are doing and suddenly having a badly injured farmer.

We drag his unconscious body to a bed and leave him to rest, no problem, right?

Well, he decides that as soon as his external wounds are gone, that he's good to go again and hops out of bed to go back to the fields. If he can't see any injuries then he must not be injured, right?

Well the fool still has a SEVERELY INJURED LUNG! One might think that the constant breathing issues associated with such an injury and the spontaneous passing out might tip him off that he needs to crawl back into bed for a while longer, but no.

His spine is still a little injured as well, but I don't think spine injuries go away

My question is will his lung ever heal now that he's decided to stop resting?

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Rested up and good to go?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 11:36:21 pm »

I dont think internal organs heal.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:37:31 pm »

I don't think so. I had a soldier get a mangled lung from an arrow hit ... she never went to bed to rest, she's just constantly winded. She's been that way for about seven years now.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 11:43:42 pm »

Yeah, now that I think about it, I've had a Ranger with a broken arm which never healed and a mangled leg which also never healed.
So I dumped lava into the room he was in.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 12:18:26 am »

Internal organs heal at the same rate as limbs according to the wiki. Severe wounds like that just take a while. The only wounds that won't heal are spinal wounds or when a limb is severed or completely destroyed.

PS: Tradan, you wasted a perfectly good ranger. Not that they're particularly valuable, but broken and mangled limbs do eventually heal.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 01:12:27 am »

Yeah, now that I think about it, I've had a Ranger with a broken arm which never healed and a mangled leg which also never healed.

They would have if you had waited ten years

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:41:34 am »

It could be worse. I had a champion with a missing eye, moderate brain damage, and a broken head from an arrow hit.
I thought he was a goner, but he was dragged to bed.
A while later, he woke up and pottered around, still sans an eye. So I named him 'Blinky', changed his rank to 'wounded champion', and left it at that. High master axedwarf isn't so bad to stick on, after all.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 09:32:58 am »

They would have if you had waited ten years

Did you check to see if there were any stuckins? Those prevent the wound from healing, or at least slow it way down.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 11:29:29 am »

you can try disabling the room they own... wounds heal much faster in a hospital/barracks than bedroom.  ???
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:13:28 pm »

One Ranger isnt too bad, because I just got a wave of migrants with 2 Rangers in it. And yes, he did have a few stuckins that he never pulled out.
You know, being unconsious all the time and all.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 01:08:45 pm »

Trappers are nice if you have a magma vent and sand for vials. Otherwise they make good markdwarves.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 03:22:37 pm »

One Ranger isnt too bad, because I just got a wave of migrants with 2 Rangers in it. And yes, he did have a few stuckins that he never pulled out.
You know, being unconsious all the time and all.

If you mark stuck arrows and bolts for dumping someone else will come along and remove them.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 03:27:12 pm »

Hey- uh. I know you are unconcious and all, but...
*rrrrrrriiiiiip*
No offense, you know.

Urist McDerp, Ranger has bled to death.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 03:57:07 pm »

Internal organs heal at the same rate as limbs according to the wiki.
Brains are internal and don't have a [NERVOUS] tag, but injuries there are forever.

Has anybody ever had a dwarf heal a lung? If not, it seems that 'organ function' tags beyond [THOUGHT] can prevent healing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 04:01:07 pm »

I had a dwarf guardsman called something Okilzas. He was retired as head of the guard, but still stayed around as a normal guard. he shoots further, more accurately, and with more damage than any other dwar, runs faster and has taken more hits than any other dwarf but he just won't go down. He is as a GOD
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: [1] 2