Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ASCII Dwarf Graphics  (Read 1881 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
ASCII Dwarf Graphics
« on: June 30, 2009, 03:26:17 pm »

For those of us who either like or want to use ASCII, but have trouble determining what's what or just don't want to 'k' or 'v' the offending Dwarf, I bring you a graphics set that allows you to use ASCII (Slightly modified and stylized) for the Dwarves.  Each profession has an icon - also from the original ASCII art set - that can tell you what they do.

No more doubts about who's who in your dining area!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jqzmbgtwhmn

I, of course, took some liberties.  I'm too lazy to play a Fort to effective completion so as to be able to get exact colors or icons for every profession.  As such, Fortress and Royal guards are still color-coded like normal Warriors, but they use the proper @ symbol.  Fort Guard Champs have a bronze badge (As does the Sheriff), while Royal Guards all have copper badges (RG Champ has a gold badge, so does the Captain).  Barons, Counts, Dukes, and Kings all have their appropriate letter ('b', 'c', 'd', 'k') - color coded (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Admantine/Microcline).  Consorts have a darker version of the appropriate color.  Kings are also pinkish, which I am told is proper (I've never had a king, so who knows), Dukes are a darker purple.

In the case of the Mechanics, I used the value/gem symbol instead of Ç - I found it took up too much of the icon to be effective.

There is one responsibility of downloading - make sure you tell me of any icons that need improving, either in color or if it needs to be @ or ☺ or ☻ or whatever the case may be.  Don't mind the leftovers from my working or from the graphics set I used as the base, it should all be spaced out properly so that those don't get into the main graphics.  If they do, tell me.

At the moment, this is only for 16x16 - I'm going to begin work on the 10x12 version shortly.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII Dwarf Graphics
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:39:47 pm »

Great idea! No really, it is very good idea!

Sadly the icons are to small to be recognizable for me. It took me two minutes to recognize woodcutter on your screen.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 07:50:45 pm »

I would go for ASCII versions of each dwarf's profession's items, since it's an ASCII-style set. For instance, the bowyer in the first screen (at least, I think it's a bowyer... though it would have to be legendary to be that colour... what's it holding?) could have a / somewhere on it, and a woodcutter one of the tree symbols. Capenters could have a bed.

So... (just something I knocked together in Paint)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The / is green because that's a marksdwarf's colour. ;D  The other two could do with a little more to tell them apart, I think, but it's close enough for a general example.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:59:02 pm »

Sounds like I need to do another round of color corrections (This time using more vibrant colors).  That's a woodcutter in focus in my picture, he's got an axe and a tree as his symbol there.

Oh Armok, the spice.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:17:29 pm »

I meant the one by the tanner's shop.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 01:58:52 am »

The color is a bit vague.  That's a thresher (Hence the thread symbol).  Should probably whiten that.

Oh Armok, the spice.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 09:54:22 am »

What? That one's nowhere near the tannery (I can see the thread symbol; that one looks fine). I mean the dwarf that's four squares down and one square left from the woodcutter, holding the brown thing.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:06:09 pm »

Brewer, holding a barrel.  Got him helping the hunter out.

Oh Armok, the spice.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 12:10:42 pm »

Ah yeah, I can see the % now that it's been pointed out. With the slight shading, it looks like one unit.

Sorry if the last post seemed a little snappy.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 05:17:43 am »

No worries.  Criticism is how stuff gets improved, after all.  If noone opens their mouths to complain, then something might remain crappy!   ;D

Oh Armok, the spice.