Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kizab-lam: Magma control without Bauxite  (Read 2333 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Kizab-lam: Magma control without Bauxite
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 05:44:19 pm »

Steam used to be dangerous, but I've read that's no longer the case.  Never experimented with it first hand.

As for the magma, just use a controlled amount of water falling into/onto the feeder channels from a retractable bridge (at least) 2 levels above.  2 levels because the bridge won't let you channel out the obsidian you create to re-open those channels if it's only z+1, and "controlled" by having a door and drawbridge at opposite ends of the reservoir - one opens when one closes, X amount of water pours out, no more, no less.

Takes a little bit more set-up, works just fine.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 12:25:50 am »

Steam used to be dangerous, but I've read that's no longer the case.  Never experimented with it first hand.

As for the magma, just use a controlled amount of water falling into/onto the feeder channels from a retractable bridge (at least) 2 levels above.  2 levels because the bridge won't let you channel out the obsidian you create to re-open those channels if it's only z+1, and "controlled" by having a door and drawbridge at opposite ends of the reservoir - one opens when one closes, X amount of water pours out, no more, no less.

Takes a little bit more set-up, works just fine.

Water drops are better than pouring water into the room itself. Drops allow a lot more control over the water...or at least they do when my design is used. Example of my design is here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4242-bladeshoots

Main weakness of the design is that dwarves will often path into the magma pool while it's filling as they ignore traffic designations when sidestepping during heavy traffic periods...An extra tile or two between the shops and the pool is all that it'd take to fix that issue, however.

And steam definitely isn't dangerous anymore...otherwise several dozen of my dwarves would've died from it.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 12:38:49 am »

(I used dwarf-locks, to keep 100% traffic out of the magma area while filling and don't open until every bit of red is black.  I know how suicidally stupid the little bastards are.)

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 01:18:59 am »

Injuries haven't been too bad for my dwarves...As long as I don't fill the pool while a bunch of dwarves are hauling blocks it's fine. Pets, however, are another issue entirely. Had a donkey walk into the NE corner of the W pool (Fills from the N and E) right as I started filling it. He would've been fine if he had walked right back out, but he decides to cross the pool...along the diagonal. Poor bastard died before the midway point, haha.

If I only had a bit more room between the pool and the shops it'd be perfectly safe (For the dwarves).

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 06:25:32 am »

Reaction for Iron Mechanisms
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adding this (and similar ones for Steel and wood) requires a regen, replacing the reaction for Rose Gold with this one (keeping [REACTION:ROSE_GOLD_MAKING] but changing everything else) does not, though you may need to erase the files in .../data/objects and rerun the .exe to get it to work right.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 11:41:12 am »

I guess you could always make a drain that uses carved fortifications on the edge of the map.
Use pumps above magma level to fill the room and make sure it drains slower than it gets filled (when pumps are active).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:42:44 am by Puck »

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 11:55:58 pm »

My experimentation went as poorly as expected.  I made a combination water and magma shower, with adjustable volume control for both.  I can fill the basin beforehand with water as a buffer for my atom smasher (so it won't melt), but there's no easy way to avoid obsidian.  It works well enough for killing, but the whole solution is inelegant.

I did find out that walls are impervious to atom smashing, but that's not too much use.

Ah well.  I guess I can easily modify the design to pump whatever's in the basin into the magma pipe for disposal, but I'll need yet another power generator.  Plus, I'm having a dearth of goblin attacks for some reason.

Screw it.  Thanks for all the input.  Now, I'll start work on my second favorite room: the elf trapper.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 12:55:03 am »

There is another option for melting goblins. Instead of magma, use a !!lignite bin!! that's behind some floodgates.
Pages: 1 [2]