Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What mod(s) should I use?  (Read 1358 times)

Eris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What mod(s) should I use?
« on: June 11, 2009, 01:18:23 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28829.0
So, now that I've finally won DF (the final cut scene was excellent, btw) I feel like I'm at the point where I need to mod for difficulty, variety, or both. I'm not sure that I need a megaproject at the moment for stage II play.
I'm not looking for loads of weird stuff or difficulty, necessarily, just...more. I'm ready to make all new mistakes!

It sounds like maybe Orcs and CivForge are the best candidates right now, and common ones...? I haven't exhausted dwarves so I don't need to be another race--Dark Dwarves notwithstanding. Another one I might like to try, but I'd still like to do more with the Aryan dwarves first.

For that matter, maybe I should play one with a tileset. Losing the pure ASCII for awhile would be a significant change.

Also, I guess I'm going to try the stepchild game known as "Adventure Mode" and I know that won't do it for me unmodded. Not because of the graphics or anything silly like that, just a general lack of non-animal enemies and gear. So I also need mod(s) for that sooner rather than later, but not necessarily for my first world--I can get my Rogue on for a while and just play in the same world my last 5 fortresses were in...try to visit them.
At some point I will play the zombie mod in Adventure Mode--maybe soon (now with graphics!). So mostly I'm asking about fortress mode for now. But adventure mode suggestions are welcome.

Final question: Is trying to do multiple mods incompatible, or is that more of a per-mod basis?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What mod(s) should I use?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 01:27:44 am »

You might just be better off going over to the DF Modding board with this question.  If you want hard, they'll give you darn near impossible.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:46:55 am »

You need molten rocks.
It doesn't make the game harder, but it does open up new opportunities for using magma.
And as we all know, magma is very, very fun.
Also, you can create a custom world with higher evil and savagery to get a more fun world.

You might just be better off going over to the DF Modding board with this question.  If you want hard, they'll give you darn near impossible.
They will give you a level of difficulty so high that you will be digging graves instead of barracks and farms when you first reach your embark site. Modders in DF are hardcore.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:15:27 pm »

There are some creature mods out that are scary. I have seen creatures that hate dwarves so much dwarves don't survive a world gen greater then 15 years. I made a fort... I still have nightmares.
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 01:17:06 pm »

Shadow, we need more informations!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 01:39:01 pm »

Well, you can take a look at the Civilization Forge Wiki for a breakdown of what changes it makes to the game. It should at least satisfy your desire for more stuff. That was kind of my goal in making it, since I also desired more stuff in the game.

As for inter-mod compatibility...that varies a lot from mod to mod. If two mods don't overlap in what they change, you're ok. But trying to add mods to something that touches just about everything, like Civ Forge does, is asking for trouble. You generally have to go through all of the files that have changes and make sure that you don't have collisions and duplicates in the tags. Doable, but you have to be very careful otherwise the game does very odd things.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 01:47:06 pm »

Let's don't forget about Cpt. Mayday's Legendary Lands mod. It's excellent and challenging also.  :)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 03:05:02 pm »

Yup...also, embarking on a chasm and HFS gurantees you some fun. Turn on "show other: ALWAYS" in the init to see where you can find the HFS. And how can we talk about this while forgetting the orc mod?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 03:20:15 pm »

The orc mod is a nicely balanced mod - while orcs are certainly tough, and add a reason for non trap based defence, they aren't wholly indestructable.  Some of the other mods out there are ridiculous, though.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 03:25:55 pm »

Well, I need volunteers to check out the Clown mod.  Now that it's done, I need feed back.  The mimes are supposed to be sort of like orcs, only with better weapons.  Then there are clowns, whose wrestlers are the most deadly of their military, biting their foes and sucking out their blood (their bites pierce, btw).  Then there are wild jesters and fools, the prior of which are a lot like free roaming snake men, able to paralyze, making them much harder to deal with than the subterranean river denizens.

It's purely an addition mod, so you should be able to slap it in with any other mods you play with.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Eris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 09:17:27 pm »

Orcs sounds good to simply bump the challenge level in Fortress mode, without more.
I was already looking at CivForge. I will definitely try it pretty soon.

FYI, I did try Adventure Mode. My first character (oddly) lasted the longest. It was pretty lame, IMO. Like I said, it's the stepchild of Armok. Or if you prefer, fortress is the feature, and adventure is an unlocked "bonus" mode like an easter egg.
About what I expected.
I'm not saying I won't play it again...just that I will definitely mod before I do adventure mode. CivForge would be good for that, or else the Zombies.

I think the main problem with adventure mode as it exists in DF currently is simply that it probably needs to generate the world differently for adventure mode than it does for fortress.
Fortress mode is cohesive and makes sense thematically; adventure mode definitely lacks those cohesive game play elements.

Generating roads between structures/civilizations would change the game a lot. At least it would feel slightly less like an afterthought.