Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A couple of noob questions...  (Read 503 times)

Old Skool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A couple of noob questions...
« on: May 03, 2009, 03:38:03 pm »

hey everyone. I've been mucking about in DF for a couple of weeks now and am having a good time trying to figure everything out, but I do have a couple of questions I have not been able to find answers too. If anyone can help, it would be nice.

1 -- I had been working thru tinypirate's tutorial until I got out of sync with it. Are there any "end of chapter" saves available to download so I can continue with the tutorial?

2 -- I've also been getting started then deleting worlds just to check them out. I noticed that I can save a starting build, but cannot figure out where that build is stored on my HD. How do I import a starting build into a new world??

2a -- Is there a library of starting builds I might be able to download to my PC?

3 -- Once I create a world I notice I can search for starting locations. I know how to go to the first selected starting area, how do I check out the other starting locations that meet my parameters?

4 -- To make sure I have plenty of water do I need to make sure that the river is in my 4x4 area when I embark?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of noob questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:49:20 pm »

2. it should do it automaticly just choose the save when you embark, if you already knew that then i dont know what you mean.

2a. if you download mayday's graphic set (google is youre friend) it comes with a starting build which is kind of good but it has no anvil so i dont think you should use it yet if you dont know how to get one with the first caravan, you dont need it that early but it can come in handy.

3. a trick is to embark and if you dont like it abandon, it wont find the same place as you need to reclaim to get it.

4. underground river, aquifier also works, you can also play without water but injured dwarves will die and you need alot of booze.

couldnt help with 1 since i learned myself without tutorials.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 04:09:25 pm »

1. no idea :/

2. it's saved in data/init/embark_profiles.txt . but these should remain even if you delete a world.

2a. not that I'm really aware of. It's really up to personal preference, here's the gist of what I usually use:
-Proficient Miner / the rest in negotiator / appraiser / judge of intent (this usually becomes my leader
-Pro Miner/Brewer
-Pro Farmer, rest in tanning/butchery
-Pro Cook/Carpenter
-Pro Mason/Mechanic
2x -Pro Wrestler, Novice ambusher (free leather armor + crossbow), rest in Shield user (these guys are my watchdwarves, to take care of any early animal threats/thieves, and hunt/do oddjobs in their spare time.). I make them wood or leather shields early on.

items:
about 40 in booze (split over the four different kinds
1 each of all the cheap kinds of food (you get a free barrel with each type of food, mmm barrels)
10 turtles or cave lobsters (for shells, a common mood requirement, make sure you set them not to be cooked)
2-3 picks
1 axe
5 cloth, 5 silk, 5 leather (more Strange Mood insurance)
4 or so ropes (animal restraints, wells)
18 plump helmet seeds (i use a 3x3 farm, this give me enough to fully harvest it twice before i need to start making booze to get new seeds)
5-10 silver bars, for making weak silver sparring weapons, also good if you get a mood and are low on metal
a few dogs (don't bother with hunting dogs, but chained dogs make decent thief detectors, and they'll provide some meat and leather if the need arises)
one cat for pest control

might be forgetting something but that's most of the necessities. I always buy an anvil later, as I usually haven't even struck metal by the time I buy one.

3. you can't directly check more than one search result for a location. it's annoying and will eventually be changed, right now you can use the trick phazer posted, or slightly edit your search parameters and try again.

4. yeah, the river (or brook) needs to be within your selected starting area, or it won't appear on your map. many maps that aren't too hot will have murky pools, which will slowly refill from rainfall, but for a big water supply, you need an endless source (river, underground river, or aquifer (although aquifers are hard to deal with and i would recommend avoiding them when just starting out))
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:14:02 pm by AncientEnemy »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:34:52 pm »

2a -- Is there a library of starting builds I might be able to download to my PC?

No, but you can save your own, and save tweaks off of that separately under different names.

Each embark site can invite different starting loads - if you have a lot of sedimentary layers, you'll 95% get bauxite, etc.  But here's mine, for what that's worth - gets me thru to the first caravan with some untrained plant gathering and aggressive (ie, "asap") farm plots, and a proficient grower.  I tweak the alcohol to suit my 7 starters' preferences, and often have to suck up the starting civ not having everything I could hope for.  Also, if 100% is available, I can't afford it all and a full skill buy - some expensive meat and/or some of the stone goes over the side.

Also note that I tend to micromanage - I breed cats for leather, and train my own dogs into wardogs - non standard, but hardly unheard of.   It has 1 of "every"(?) kind of cheap-ish meat, plus material for DIY bizmuth bronze axes, picks, guard dog chains, silver practice weapons, plus more -

Copy this into data/init/embark_profiles - and you can edit it after you load it before embark or manually in the file if you wish, esp the title and amounts - it's pretty obvious what's going on...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Old Skool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 09:12:42 pm »

Thanks for all the quick answers. I will poke around and hopefully start a fortress that I will want to keep alive for a few years.

I looked into the init file and found the profile I created, plus two others. I wondered what those options where when I decided to embark.. ) I guess I had not started another fortress since I actually tried to save my own.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:23:36 pm by Old Skool »