Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stairs + Aquifer = Oops?  (Read 1000 times)

fred9802

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stairs + Aquifer = Oops?
« on: April 25, 2009, 06:08:34 pm »

Just when I thought I had a clue about playing this game.   ;D

Had a tunnel about 7 z-levels down. Designated a series of up/down staircases to go up about 5 levels to get to the soil/sand levels to find some sand for glassmaking.

Somewhere along the vertical dig of the staircases, the hallway began to flood.

Double-checked the announcements and found no warnings about damp stone -- just the usual 'winter is upon you', 'you found Alunite for the 340th time!' and 'Bob meant to put something in the stockpile but drank too much and ate it instead' messages.

So I put a door up to stop the flood waters, then shifted the project about 20 tiles away and attempted another vertical climb. Same exact result, again with no warning about any damp stone.

Is there no 'damp stone' warning if you attempt to dig out a staircase going upward and bump into an aquifer? If it matters, I'm running 40d10.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stairs + Aquifer = Oops?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 07:37:48 pm »

Yep, you don't get warned when you dig up into wet or hot rock/dirt. I personally consider this a bug, though when I reported it a lot of people disagreed with me for some reason  I still don't fathom.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 07:45:53 pm »

The reason you don't get a warning is because up stairs don't reveal the tile above it like downstairs do, so the only time you'll know that you've hit an aquifer is when it starts leaking. This is game behavior that I think should be changed.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 09:54:10 pm »

Yeah, I fell prey to the same thing on a fortress of mine; I had specifically selected "no aquifer" when I embarked, so when I hit damp stone I figured it must be an underground pool or river. so i dug upward on a nearby dry tile so i could breach the thing from the side/top, and bam hit a tiny (x-y speaking) aquifer, filling half my mine.