Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d: Obsidian forming oddness  (Read 623 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40d: Obsidian forming oddness
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:28:47 am »

So, I built a set of constructed floors over a river.

I then used Tweak to change the water tiles below the floors to magma, forming an obsidian wall.

I deconstructed the floors.

The tiles that the floors were on now show 'limestone blocks, open space' in the k view. The tile symbol has changed to a grey background with a darker grey dot in the middle, and the tiles are apparently unwalkable.

Now, I know that the problem is almost certainly my use of Tweak, but is it possible there's a bug involving obsidian formation? I can think of at least one way to reproduce the obsidian formation under a floor to test this.

Reflooring and deconstructing again destroys the original set of blocks, which just hang there after deconstruction, and leaves the next set stuck in the same fashion.

Animals dumped into a pit designated on one of these open space tiles fall *into* the obsidian wall on the next level, and are stuck.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:36:01 am by Fossaman »
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: 40d: Obsidian forming oddness
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:24:17 am »

I don't know if this should be called a bug or not, it's just kind of how the game works right now (except for the 'animals falling into a solid object' part).

when obsidian forms, if there's no floor in the tile above, it forms an obsidian floor. if there is a floor already, it leaves the existing floor as is. the oddity i suppose is that it doesn't recognize that there isn't a natural floor underneath the constructed floor. it just goes 'floor: check, okay leave that tile alone'.

the behavior you're seeing is pretty much what happens with any tile where there's a formation/construction that acts as a wall, but -doesn't- create a floor above it. windows and fortifications will act the same way with regards to stuff sitting on top of them but not being walkable, and dumped animals becoming trapped within.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 05:47:40 pm »

Wow, so this isn't from using Tweak?

Well, it may not be a bug, but it's certainly not a feature. :P
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:05:16 pm »

yeah yeah. I mean it's sort of an area the game hasn't been set up to deal with properly yet, rather than something that aught to be functioning one way but is 'bugged' :)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 02:32:08 pm »

How is that not a bug? It should be creating a floor, and it's not - it's that simple.