Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seige Questions  (Read 655 times)

Inconnu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seige Questions
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:30:48 am »

So I have survived the second siege, having lost only a couple of Axedwarves, but I have a couple of questions:

1> My caravan from the dwarven homes arrived at the same time as the siege.  All but one trader made it into my fortress, the straggler was quickly ambushed and killed.  The caravan which was unloading, packed up and wouldn't trade. Then as soon as the siege ended, they left.  So the one trader getting killed stopped all trading? 

The liaison didn't have a problem, he stayed and talked to me, leaving well after his buddies, and after most of the siege had been cleaned up.

2> Also during the siege, I somehow cage trapped the muskox of the dead trader.  I tamed it with the dungeon master, but when I tried to move from the cage to a chain, it went and attacked my dwarves.  Thankfully my hunter was walking by after dropping off his latest kill and took care of it.  So if it was tame why did it attack?

3> I cannot figure out how to take the equipment off captured goblins.  If I go to the stocks menu, how do I know what they are wearing?  (I am using the Mayday graphics set and it shows the weapons in white, red and blue, I think the blue is what they have, but I'm not sure...)

I now have 19 caged up, and am going to have to get rid of them..too bad the dungeon master can't tame them.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Seige Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 11:41:20 am »

Hi!

Yep, the loss of a single merchant unit causes an end to the trading. So you should try to keep them out of trouble. The liaisons/diplomats are a different deal altogether, it seems, so neither side influences the other in that respect.

As for the muskox, the only thing I can think of is that any creature which has killed a dwarf will be effectively untamable. But then the question would be why the muskox should have killed a dwarf and how.

As for the final question, I have no idea, sorry. I prefer weapon traps :) :) :)

Deathworks

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:21:02 pm »

So I have survived the second siege, having lost only a couple of Axedwarves, but I have a couple of questions:

1> My caravan from the dwarven homes arrived at the same time as the siege.  All but one trader made it into my fortress, the straggler was quickly ambushed and killed.  The caravan which was unloading, packed up and wouldn't trade. Then as soon as the siege ended, they left.  So the one trader getting killed stopped all trading? 

The liaison didn't have a problem, he stayed and talked to me, leaving well after his buddies, and after most of the siege had been cleaned up.

2> Also during the siege, I somehow cage trapped the muskox of the dead trader.  I tamed it with the dungeon master, but when I tried to move from the cage to a chain, it went and attacked my dwarves.  Thankfully my hunter was walking by after dropping off his latest kill and took care of it.  So if it was tame why did it attack?

3> I cannot figure out how to take the equipment off captured goblins.  If I go to the stocks menu, how do I know what they are wearing?  (I am using the Mayday graphics set and it shows the weapons in white, red and blue, I think the blue is what they have, but I'm not sure...)

I now have 19 caged up, and am going to have to get rid of them..too bad the dungeon master can't tame them.

Deathworks covered my answers to #1 and #2.

For #3, mass-designate the cages with the goblins for dumping, then manually (using the 'k' key) undesignate the cages themselves.  Dwarves will come and strip the goblins and dump all their crap.  Then reclaim anything you want to keep.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 12:38:44 pm »

You could always just drop them off a 10 z level cliff. I'm pretty sure the impact will separate them from their effects.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Inconnu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 12:56:41 pm »

If the muskox had killed a dwarf (which I don't see how it could have) would the DM be able to tame it?  It was a muskox, and the it was muskox (tame)...

If I mass dump the cages, will it release the goblins?  I tried assigning other ones earlier to a pit, but that let them escape.

Dropping them off a cliff involves a bridge right?  I tried that earlier, and couldn't make it work.  I was trying to put the cage on the bridge.  I have to figure out death rooms and such, I haven't tried too much of that.

Thanks  ;D

Oh yeah, the reason I came back to the forum, I have built 2 grand dining rooms (14 tables, 28 chairs, with fully smoothed, engraved walls, plus some statues, in each) but none of my damn dwarves use them.  Every time I check them, they complain about a lack of tables. 

The dining rooms are directly below the kitchen/food storage one on the left of he down stairway, the other on the right.  Could they be too close together?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 01:06:07 pm »

You build the goblin cages next to the cliff where the pit zone is designated then order them to be pitted. Just build a tall tower, build a row of floor tiles to build the cages on, designate everything around those tiles to be a pit, then build the cages and start the pitting process.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 01:29:58 pm »

The muskox going nuts may have had something to do with it having an owner before you claimed it.  Whenever merchants have been killed I'll notice that their animals will either just mill around and eventually leave the map, or will go crazy.  There may be a glitch with training merchant animals, as training them would prevent them from leaving the map, but they still have the same programmed behaviors that untrained merchant animals have.

Just a possibility.  Then again, it may have gone crazy while sitting inside of the cage.  Did the trainer have to drag it far, or was the cage next to the kennel?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 01:35:03 pm »

You can build the cages in a room, keeping the goblins inside the cages. Connect a lever to every cage, then seal up the room and carve some fortifications overlooking the room.

Pull the lever.

Live fire target practice for your crossbows!

Inconnu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 01:05:59 pm »

I came up with a drowning pool.  Works fine.  And I get all their stuff.  ;D  And no danger to my guys!

I have a new question; I haven't killed off the nobles...I don't know why, but I've got them all set up, all demands met, all but 1 mandate (I can't make crystal glass  :'() but now my new mayor is asking for an item in his office.  I cannot figure out what item?!?!?  Do I keep throwing things in there? or am I missing where to find out what he wants?  And will the others start doing this?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 01:15:43 pm »

Hi!

I am not completely sure, but I think I can say "Welcome to the wonderful world of bugs". What you describe sounds like the following:

000491 □ [dwarf mode][nobles]   (Report) "item in bedroom" demand wasn't met by various furniture in the room

And that is the report linked to:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=9551.0

Note that there is a reply in that thread linking to further threads, although it does not seem that the bug has been fixed. As far as I know, you can't succeed with such mandates/demands.

Deathworks

Inconnu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 01:30:34 pm »

Should have searched for that one!  Thanks!