Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pumping fish?  (Read 821 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pumping fish?
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:08:28 am »

I'm thinking of creating an artificial lake on a empty plateau in my fortress. The site is a few Z-levels over the brook.

So my question is; will the lake have fish in it if I pump water froom the brook to fill it?
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pumping fish?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:11:08 am »

'Vermin' type fish seems to be able to appear anywhere suitable.
and by 'vermin' i mean the type that fishermen catches and not the type that catches your fishermen.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:45:44 am »

Urist McFisher cancels fish: interrupted by pike.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 12:56:20 pm »

Urist McFisher cancels getting a drink: Interrupted by pike.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

^^atte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:28:17 pm »

Pike cancels catch dwarf: Nothing left to catch.

But yes i think you will get fish there.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 06:48:38 pm »

If nothing else, iirc you should be able to manually seed fish into your lake by catching them with cage traps and then releasing them into your lake.

You just need catch and release areas that can be flooded and drained to give both fish and dwarf access when needed. Heck, you can even train fish, iirc, tho you need sonething like 2-3/7 water in the 'training pool' so it's habbitable to both fish and dwarf.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 12:08:13 am »

what happens when you train a fish? just marked as 'tame'? does it do anything?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 12:34:07 am »

If nothing else, iirc you should be able to manually seed fish into your lake by catching them with cage traps and then releasing them into your lake.

You just need catch and release areas that can be flooded and drained to give both fish and dwarf access when needed. Heck, you can even train fish, iirc, tho you need sonething like 2-3/7 water in the 'training pool' so it's habbitable to both fish and dwarf.
To tame large fish is quite easy: catch it in a cage and just tame it like any other animal.  Training it is harder because fish need 4/7 water at least, while dwarves handle 3/7 water at most.  For both, you need to mod the ability to tame or train the fish.

But this is totally off-topic.  Fishable fish will show up in any body of water anywhere, magically.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:52:36 am »

The fish should show up. I had pumped water to the 4th level above a gatehouse as part of a waterfall system and they'd catch turtles up there.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 10:35:59 am »

Great, thank you everyone.

As a sidenote, I don't get any carp, only lungfish in (and outside of) my brook  :P
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 10:51:26 am »

But this is totally off-topic.  Fishable fish will show up in any body of water anywhere, magically.

Oh, for fishing? Yeah, of course. My current fort has a carp-infested stream, for example, so I dug an underground pool and waterway, installed a grate to keep the carp out, and channeled out the last tile from above, basicly the same as you'd do for critter-proofing your magma forges. The little pool works great for water and fishing access - in fact, I used to fish from my cisterns and the aquafer in previous forts.

Just a little confusion given there are three kinds of fish - creatures, vermin, and what fisherdwarves catch, the later two created out of thin air(water?).

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 01:16:00 am »

There's really only one kind of fish. Fish. They appear in lakes, then get hauled out and eaten.

Carp are like monsters that just happen to have gills. Little blobs of evil with fins. Not fish.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 04:13:57 am »

Someone in the past did manage to make war-carp. It was absurdly awesome.