Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Illegal instruction  (Read 1944 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Illegal instruction
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 09:37:04 pm »

2 seconds per frame?!?!? :o :o :o

that said, i seem to recall something about having to run df via a script instead of running the exe direcly. but i've never tried playing df under linux nor have i tried the 40d# releases, i'm still using plain 40d.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 12:11:13 am »

There's a script that comes with the linux version. You should run df instead of dwarfort.exe, is all.

By the way, why is it dwarfort.exe? Linux doesn't use exes, but I guess it doesn't care about the file extension, so it doesn't matter.

Back on topic, yeah, there's not much you can do; You have an old processor.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 12:20:05 am »

Illegal instruction usually means a bug*, but in your case, it might well mean that DF is trying to use an instruction introduced for the Pentium 3, which your processor just has no idea what to do with.  So you're basically out of luck on that one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 06:31:26 am »

You have a better GPU than I do, yet you are using a Pentium II. Bizaare.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 08:23:51 am »

2 seconds per frame and enjoying it?
You'll end up overdosing on it once you get a better computer, and they'll have to rush you to the hospital or something.

I suppose one of the better ways of getting a computer cheap would be to see if any of your friends is going to get a new computer anytime soon, but I'm not too sure what you would think of hand-me-downs.

Other than that, you'll just have to save up money like crazy, maybe you should take a part-time job if you are old enough for that.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 08:25:59 pm »

Or, you can continue with your line of thought and ignore these fools that always advertise about how "U need 2 Upgrate!!!1!!"

Oftentimes, especially nowadays, it isn't completely your computer's fault as much as others make it out to be. Check your usage of your processing power for slow running speeds, you might find more worthless junk than you need running. That is often the biggest reason you get good rates on a old machine and crappy rates on a newer machine. The whole Linux thing isn't in your favor though, since the percentage of people who use it are lower, hence a lower chance of someone having a problem similar to yours. As such, if you get the solution through random luck, broadcast all the random crap you did here. Someone else can narrow it down later. Likewise, if you get the answer, repost it here. Sometimes search features work, and occasionally someone takes their head out of their rear when someone asks for something searchable and posts the link.

I do think a dedicated Linux forum is the best place to look though, since they are more likely to understand how things on that end operate and why there are issues.

Oh, and I don't get PTTG's joke either, and don't know a language besides English.

Seriously though, be sure you have the latest Linux version. I think it is http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_28_181_40d9_linux.tar.bz2

There is no link for the Linux version on the main Dwarf Fortress page, so if you didn't dig through the dev log for the link, chances are you didn't get the one you needed.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:28:49 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 08:51:29 pm »

Oh, and I don't get PTTG's joke either, and don't know a language besides English.

I got it (apparently the only one <.<). It was going by the assumption that illegal in this case meant the instructions were actually against the law. One form of illegal action that a person can do on a computer is pirating games. And thus the computer is warning you that you'll be going to jail.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 09:31:16 pm »

Or, you can continue with your line of thought and ignore these fools that always advertise about how "U need 2 Upgrate!!!1!!"

Oftentimes, especially nowadays, it isn't completely your computer's fault as much as others make it out to be.

It's compiled with -march='pentium-3'. There is a instruction in the executable which the Pentium II cannot physically run. Maybe the Windows version doesn't have that instruction in it (I don't know the MSVC options used to compile the windows one), but failing that an upgrade would be necessary.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 10:44:17 pm »

As someone who often makes jokes that are understood by no one, I feel obligated to say that I also understood PTTG's joke. 
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 06:39:54 am »

2 seconds per frame 0_0

You, sir, have been awarded the medal for 'most patient DF player'.

<salutes>

PTTG, I got your joke as well..
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 [2]