Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Illegal instruction  (Read 1945 times)

Elvenslayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Illegal instruction
« on: January 30, 2009, 01:56:46 pm »

hmmm... not sure if it is the right place to post this... sorry
i really want to play DF under linux. with Wine, it runs way too slow. it takes some hours (maybe 5) of pure unpaused gameplay for the first season, getting slower during game. my good old win98-machine (maybe 5 years older than the linux-one) runs it twice as fast.
now i realized that there is a linux version, but, of course, it doesnt run... >:(
the shell just complains about illegal instruction...
what is this about? problems with my ati-raedon and/or device-drivers (coud that be the reason for lame wine?)? or could it be the soundcard (i have ALSA but no working soundcard, anyway the sound is turned off in the init-file)
OK, i hope that there is someone who could help/give a hint... if so: THX
(actually, i hope that there is someone who understands my english ;) )

EDIT: forget to mention its about 40d9
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 02:04:11 pm by Elvenslayer »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Illegal instruction
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:07:55 pm »

The problem is that you're pirating games. Your computer detects this and is warning you that your illegal instructions to it are going to get you thrown in jail.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:19:41 pm »

Just a random guess but try 40d instead of 40d9?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Elvenslayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 02:21:11 pm »

The problem is that you're pirating games. Your computer detects this and is warning you that your illegal instructions to it are going to get you thrown in jail.
oh...
didnt know that trying to start an game ("./df") is considered as "illegal"
how do you play DF? opening the source and calculate your fortress with a pile of sheets and a calculator?
... and is there a way for pirating open source software?
 ???

EDIT: ok, not so sure about the open source thing... cant find the licence.txt, which the DF-homepage refers to... but i dont care about the licence that much, as long as i can play it for free
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 04:07:30 pm by Elvenslayer »

Elvenslayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 02:47:43 pm »

i think 40d is windows-only (ok, maybe also mac). some days ago i read that someone tried to start it under linux and succeded, but i think he didnt noticed that wine was running...
i removed wine and tried it anyway, but like i thought: unable to find an interpreter for ./dwarfort.exe

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 03:04:22 pm »

DF uses optimization for, I think, a pentium 3; some early athlon xp machines aren't quite up to this instruction level.

What exact machine do you have?

('cat /proc/cpuinfo' will do)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Elvenslayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 03:31:38 pm »

@Baughn:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

yeah, i know that its toooooooo old, but like i said: it runs faster on my older win98-PC with 64 MB RAM and on-board-graphics (dont ask for further specs, i dont have a clue, and not the time to boot it now this week)
any other ideas than reinstalling Win?
too bad that i stumbled upon DF after switching to linux...

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 04:28:19 pm »

Get a new processor? DF for windows is *also* compiled for pentium-3-or-above; if it works, that's pretty much pure luck.

And no, the optimization level can't be lowered; dropping from P3 to P2 can reduce performance 10-30%, which I doubt anyone would enjoy. Plus, you're probably the only one still on a P2...

Seriously, you can get a P3-or-above on a flea market these days, and you might even get double-digit framerates.  ::)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 04:53:49 pm »

I don't see any reason why DF can't ALSO be compiled without those optimizations.  Download this if you have a modern machine, download that if your machine is ancient.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 05:08:24 pm »

i think 40d is windows-only (ok, maybe also mac). some days ago i read that someone tried to start it under linux and succeded, but i think he didnt noticed that wine was running...
i removed wine and tried it anyway, but like i thought: unable to find an interpreter for ./dwarfort.exe

That was a bad joke on my part. There is a native linux version, though.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 05:16:40 pm »

I don't see any reason why DF can't ALSO be compiled without those optimizations.  Download this if you have a modern machine, download that if your machine is ancient.

It would be more work for Toady, and DF takes over half an hour to build as it is.

Oh, you can of course ask him, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the chance that he'll double the per-release work to help one player.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 05:29:31 pm »

One player who's reported the issue, so far.  Who knows how many folks would stick around longer if the game wasn't mysteriously unplayable on their system?

(never mind the framerate...)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 07:22:42 pm »

I don't see why Toady should make optimizations for ancient hardware that really wouldn't be able to play DF effectively either way.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 07:26:14 pm »

"Make optimizations"?  It's compiling with a different flag.  So you run one more compile and put up one more zip.

Elvenslayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 08:34:12 pm »

first off all: thanks so far to all of you

That was a bad joke on my part. There is a native linux version, though.
sorry if i was unclear. with 40d9 i meant the native linux version (also sorry for still dont get the joke, maybe a matter of my english skills?!?)

Get a new processor? DF for windows is *also* compiled for pentium-3-or-above; if it works, that's pretty much pure luck.

And no, the optimization level can't be lowered; dropping from P3 to P2 can reduce performance 10-30%, which I doubt anyone would enjoy. Plus, you're probably the only one still on a P2...

Seriously, you can get a P3-or-above on a flea market these days, and you might even get double-digit framerates.  ::)
yeah, unfortunately i think this is best hint i can get, but i dont want to invest in an other piece of junk. i'm saving mony for a new PC for 6 month now. i allready had 700€ but some unpredictable expenses reduced it to 250€ again... in nearly 12 hours i will meet both my grandmas and collect my outstanding birthday-cheques...
but he, maybe its not so bad to wait some months. could be an amazing expirience to play version 44 with dozens of new features on a shiny new pc.
ah, by the way: i played DF at approx. 2spf (yes, thats right, seconds per frame) for months and enjoyed it much.

I don't see why Toady should make optimizations for ancient hardware that really wouldn't be able to play DF effectively either way.
i dont expect toady to do anything else but developing DF (eating & sleeping is OK i guess)
just wanted to know if someone knows how to fix my problem

still waiting for some ideas...

and before i forget: hail to toady for making the best game i ever played. when i bought a new pc i will start to save money for a donation (dont expect too much!)
another thing: i just cant stop wondering that 90% of the people are judging a game by its graphics. poor fools
Pages: [1] 2