Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Sparring not as safe as it seems  (Read 4912 times)

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring not as safe as it seems
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 04:30:48 pm »

Remember that you can wear leather under chain under plate, so starting your wrestlers off with leather, and mixing in chain and plate upgrades when they are available is win/win.

Setting your newbies to wear bucklers will increase their speed, although not very noticeable with maxed stats, they'll still train weapons/wrestling and armor faster in the beginning. If they are sparring with other newbies with bucklers, they'll train shields faster than they would have because their opponents are dishing out more attacks per year.

My only problem with wrestling is micromanaging what people tear off each other. I got a legendary armorsmith in this fort from an artifact, flipped out with joy because he was my first decent armorer ever. I ordered up a steel breastplate with my only 3 steel bars and it came out exceptional. Cool. It promptly gets torn off my champion and is now a bashing item that considerably slows down the dwarf hauling it. =(.

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 09:25:50 pm »

I've never seen my wrestlers pull armor off of each other, just regular clothing items...is that odd?

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 06:02:31 am »

If you mean it's never happened to you then yes that's odd. I'm routinely clawing chain mails and helms out of people's hands.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 11:26:43 pm »

Its generally not worth the trouble to micromanage sparring.

Simply dump all of your new soap makers into a squad, set them to use shields, plate, and whichever weapon you want, and let them train. I prefer hammers myself, since there is less of a chance of a fatal piercing/slashing injury, and cleaning up goblins is easier because they're in fewer pieces.

Sure, I'll lose a few dorfs, but again, its not like soap makers are in short supply. New recruits just pick up the gear dropped by other recruits who failed sparring lessons.

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 02:31:27 pm »

also, hammerdwarf armies just seem inherently dwarfier to me than any other weapon.
Pages: 1 2 [3]