Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sparring not as safe as it seems  (Read 4913 times)

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
Sparring not as safe as it seems
« on: January 20, 2009, 03:37:31 pm »

I was wondering how many times your dwarfs have died of suffocation due to sparring injury.
It has been 6 years for me and my third dwarf died of suffocation.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring not as safe as it seems
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:46:06 pm »

Sparring is not even remotely kinda like safe if you do it wrong.

NEVER skip the part where you train up their wrestling skill some.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 04:51:54 pm »

IIRC, zero... or one, tops.

Give your dwarves armor, shield, and let them train up to legendary wrestlers and shield users before you give them dangerous things and you'll never have a casualty.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 04:54:04 pm »

I'm sure you can skip the wrestling step if you have good enough armor and horrible weapons. Still, seeing as the ability to dodge is tied into the wrestling skill 'till the next version it is a very useful thing to raise.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 06:05:37 pm »

Wrestling is still a good idea. The skill with a weapon (and hence the chance to not hit a partner in training) is also tied to the quality of the weapon. Crappy weapons = more chance of hitting their partner.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

tacklemcclean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:22:18 pm »

Crappy weapons = more chance of hitting their partner.

Well that doesn't sound right?

Anyways, I too thought I would make my soldiers wrestlers first, to avoid deaths/injuries.

I wanted them to become a lot of different types of soldiers, mostly marksdwarves, which doesn't work now that they're wearing socks in their hands. No idea how to fix that

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 06:31:54 pm »

In my current fortress there is absolutely no water anywhere (desert planet), so even minor yellow wounds are effectively a death sentence. I've lost track as to how many I've lost so far but I'd put it somewhere between 10 and 20.  :P

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 07:15:23 pm »

One word for that situation: Crossbows.

But at any rate, I'm wondering what part of having perpetually boozed-up dwarves fight each other for training seemed safe in the first place.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 08:03:12 pm »

well, just set all your fortress guard to unarmed, as all they do is spar anyway.  Then, when your real military dwarves goto spar, they wont get hurt and will get training in both wresting and their own weapon, as those elite fortress guards smack them around errr, I mean teach them how to fight.  So far, this method has produced zero casualties in sparring for me in 2 fortress, one went for 7 years, the other is at 11 and still going.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 08:22:46 pm »

I don't think wrestling is a good idea at all. Sure, it makes the dwarves tougher (usually, anyway) however they tend to get unhealable injuries while wrestling anyway, and it doesn't help that much once you give them weapons. It's also a LOT slower, because wrestling trains so slow compared to weapon skills.

If you don't use spears, the cripple/death rate only seems to be maybe 40% or so in my experience, once they get legendary it's not a problem anymore. 40% of recruits sacrificed to turn the rest into unstoppable killing machines is not that big a deal, especially considering it's usually a bunch of dyers and soapmakers. Furthermore, new recruits train very quickly when they spar with legendaries and will almost never take injuries so it's easy to replace any injuries.

I also don't think it's worth bothering trying to get and equip people with wooden/silver weapons either. You can get new cheese makers faster then you can set all that up.

In short: Sparring is deadly, but dwarves are disposable, so throw the otherwise useless ones into the meat grinder and eventually a few champs will pop out.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 08:24:50 pm »

use the Dump trick on caravan guards armor, because you get the first one before your first immigrant wave. then have them use full steel armor and train wrestling to legendary. they wont get injured while wrestling and it serves them well when one of the goblin leather wearing wrestler fodder manages to steal their masterwork steel warhammer.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 08:48:51 pm »

Crappy weapons = more chance of hitting their partner.

Well that doesn't sound right?
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Item_quality#Effect_of_quality_on_weapon_skillv0.23.130.23a
Quote from: Toady via wiki
The quality of any weapon, including crossbows used as launchers, affects the skill of the shooter.
Granted, there is nothing listed for lower-quality weapons.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 09:16:33 pm »

Didn't somebody have one dwarf rip out another's heart while sparring?

As for me, most of my deaths come from giving everybody equal-to-steel rock swords.
By this time enough caravans had been killed by ambusing orcs so that everybody had steel armor, but still.

So many decapitations...
So much blood...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 09:24:32 pm »

My uncle found that a good way to train wrestling was to assign every trainee to use shields, forbidding all non-wooden or high quality shields before hand.  They will largely hit each other with the shields, which do very little damage when made from wood.  This will train wrestling, shield use, and armor use (possibly even if they aren't wearing armor) at the same, tripling (or possibly doubling) efficiency of training.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 09:29:44 pm »

I'm amazed that no one has a report about a recruit being ludicrously gibbed on their first day.  Sure, it's good for your completely psychopathic one dwarf legion's moral, which is why I let him keep the artifact weapon while training, but it makes all these slow, painful deaths seem... trivial.
Pages: [1] 2 3