Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When do Goblins become interested in a fort?  (Read 1037 times)

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
When do Goblins become interested in a fort?
« on: January 15, 2009, 09:37:52 pm »

It occurred to me that I have never, in any fort, had a goblin show up. Kobolds, yes. In fact there's a half dozen on my map now that I'm aware of.

After 6 years, and 60+ dwarves living in the same hole, as well as a couple artifacts (I usually execute the dwarves instead of dealing with moods) I have yet to get even a snatcher. Too much more and they won't be a threat; the only reason I don't have legendaries in most of my military dwarves is because I've been rotating them off military duty every so often.

And all that effort building a outdoor sanctuary so that I don't have to worry about attack except from one direction.

No traps until recently, and those are just guarding a back entrance, which was a lignite mine converted to a practice ammo stockpile.

it_is_coming

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When do Goblins become interested in a fort?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:42:04 pm »

there could be no goblin civs around. check your civs screen.
Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

And that ... that is immortality.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:59:32 pm »

I ran across at least three when looking for the site. IIRC there's one not too far away even.

Srath47

• Bay Watcher
  • No Pain No Gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 10:04:14 pm »

its seems to me after about a year and a half too two years they always show up for me, the snatchers and thieves are around before that but nothing else really.
"BEHOLD, FOR ARMOK BREATHED LIFE INTO THE VERY ROCKS IN THE RIVERS AND COMMANDED THEM TO GO FORTH AND MUTILATE RANDOM PASSERS BY."

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:14:09 pm »

Thats what gets me; I've had two kids since the second year, and another born in the third year. No snatchers, no ambushes, nothing. My military has more dwarf-kills than anything else.

hamsterfury

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:27:27 am »

Maybe they aren't at war with the dwarf civ. Seems like there's been a chance of certain civs not being at war, hit "c" and select the goblins, then hit tab and see if they're exporting the good 'ol gobby terror to you.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:35:01 am by hamsterfury »

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 05:08:48 pm »

Ok, I'll check that. I passed out cold and didn't wake up for about a day, so I'm just now getting around to things again. Thank you.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 05:19:53 pm »

Don't you need 80+ dwarves for sieges?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 05:50:25 pm »

I'd like to see a baby snatcher too, or maybe an ambush. Not a single goblin has set foot in my fortress area in 6 years, most of which was with over 30 dwarves. Whats more, is the goblins are nearby, and are supposed to be exporting terror into my fort. I'm feeling slighted, not one ounce of terror has made it. Maybe the Kobolds are stealing all my fu- I mean vengeance.

Stupid goblins. I have some excess population I wanted to get rid of. And my military needs some live target practice, and kobolds are useless for that.

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 05:50:43 pm »

I've seen sieges with under 80 dwarves.

Pixelfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 06:38:57 pm »

Even if your at peace with goblins they still will attempt raids.

However, I think their nations history affects this. In my most recent fort I was left alone till year 4, where I suffered 17 ambushes in the span of one year. They lost 59 total, then sieged me with 40 goblins and 20 trolls(yay I never get trolls), of which they suffered a whipe out of trolls and 31 goblin deaths. 5 years and they haven't attacked at all, nor sent any snatchers.

I checked the nations history, and apparently they worship a female demon whom routinely kills them and sends them to war with an elven nation for worshiping a mountain or something. I belive if your nearest gobbo civilization is occupied, they'll have less resources to send your way.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 06:46:36 pm »

there could be no goblin civs around. check your civs screen.
Even if there's goblins who can get to you, I don't think it'll show them until you run into them.

And yeah, currently sieges will happen no matter who you are (or aren't) at war with.  If goblins can get to you, then you can get sieges.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 07:22:42 pm »

To be honest, my poor military is suffering because of it. The only casualty is a spear dwarf who died after having her lung punctured. During sparring.

Currently, my real military is training while the Death Squads (also known as the US army, untrained, unled, and unequipped soldiers whose job is to die).

Sadly, my dwarves felt the need to give my dead, berserk craftsdwarf the good tomb instead of the one who died holding a weapon, so it took repeated attempts at unconstructing his coffin to get the correct dwarf in the tomb. I gave the other one a alcove in a hall though.

*EDIT*

Finally! It took 5 kids (3 born here, 2 immigrated in) and nearly 7 years, but I got a goblin baby snatcher! He got ran over by the dwarven merchants as they were leaving, kiled by one of their three marksdwarves. *sigh*

I did manage to get my entire army armed, and all the squad leaders in plate. So no more Death Squads.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 08:51:02 pm by azrael4h »