Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: It's all in the cards...  (Read 1915 times)

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It's all in the cards...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 10:08:02 pm »

SNES Ogre Battle had a card system that's kinda like Crawl. You do whatever you like, and then break out your deck in a crunch situation for instant win.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 11:58:35 pm »

GameCube - sufficiently superpowered PC
Whaa?
Gamecube is by far less powerful then pretty much any PC from the last decade.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 12:00:08 am »

My favorite *band variant (Hengband) had 'Trump' magic which was based on cards, with a 'shuffle' spell. It's all pretty abstracted, though. No actual card objects.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 01:16:26 am »

GameCube - sufficiently superpowered PC
Whaa?
Gamecube is by far less powerful then pretty much any PC from the last decade.
Have you tried emulation? As a general rule, the system doing the emulation must be more powerful than the system being emulated. My laptop, which is significantly more powerful than the N64, struggles with some of its games. Same with my desktop and the DreamCast.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 04:34:53 pm »

My favorite *band variant (Hengband) had 'Trump' magic which was based on cards, with a 'shuffle' spell. It's all pretty abstracted, though. No actual card objects.

Hey wow, I just showed up here to mention Hengband (actually Zangband) for its Trump spells. Hengband is based on Zangband anyway-- I loved it to death, too. So many awesome classes and races available. Android was ridiculously neat!

Though for bonus cool points, the four spell books in Zangband were "Minor Arcana, Major Arcana" and... ahm. Trumps of Doom or some such and something else entirely! I forget. But I've always loved card-based spells in games, yet they never get enough attention.

Hm, where's Fualkner? We need to talk about implementing this sort of thing in our project. Maybe the Major and Minor Tarot Arcanas with some sort of combination system similar to a tarot card reading...

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 04:48:44 pm »

I think Two Worlds used cards for magic, but I heard that game wasn't very good...
Pages: 1 [2]