Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: It's all in the cards...  (Read 1918 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
It's all in the cards...
« on: January 15, 2009, 03:02:39 pm »

So, after spending an inordinate amount of time trying my hand at the cards of Nemelex Xobeh in Dungeon Crawl, I wondered if there were many (or any) other games with similar magic card decks.   Something you can use most of the time, or at least often enough to be a big-ish part of the game.

I know of a Doom 3 mod that has something like that, but I never got a chance to try that out so I can't vouch for its quality.  Anybody know of games with magic cards or tarot-related features?  And no, I'm not looking for a pure card-game like Magic: the Gathering or the like.

Hey, c'mon, I've been living in Vegas for eight years.  I've got a thing for cards.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It's all in the cards...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 03:11:29 pm »

Age of Empires III has cards, though I doubt that's what you had in mind.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 03:13:59 pm »

No, not precisely.  I was thinking of something that actually had cards, not just buttons that were called cards for some inexplicable reason.

That game disappointed me somewhat...  Nobody could get pulverized by a train.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 03:36:33 pm »

There's Lost Kingdoms, but you can't play that unless you have a GameCube and the extreme luck required to find the game or you have a sufficiently superpowered PC with the extreme luck required to find a rip of the game.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 03:47:48 pm »

There's the Etherlords, more or less a direct Magic clone but with a different approach to magic itself. There're also a few games that feature card games within them (Final Fantasy 8 being one), and I believe I saw a few RTSes or some such with a card-based unit deployment system, but I'm not sure whether I made it up or not. There's Yggdra Union on the GBA, more or less exactly what you're looking for, but it's GBA.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 04:01:11 pm »

Well, those are all card-based games.  Not exactly what I was looking for.

You see, with Dungeon Crawl, you can play whatever kind of adventurer you want.  A sword-wielding vagabond, a wand-zappin' wizard, or a rather dangerous-looking troll.  It is also possible to attain certain magical decks of cards, that can be invoked in order to cause semi-random magical effects.

DungeonDoom (the Doom 3 mod) allows players to pick a class that they will play as when fighting against the demons of hell.  You can be a standard gun-toting fighter who can buy upgraded weapons for extra boom, or perhaps try out your hand at zapping zombies as a mage.  One of the classes is a special type of mage that works with decks of cards in order to destroy his foes.  Although the magic is powerful, it's not quite as easy to control as the mage's magery is.

Stuff like Lost Kingdoms and Yggdra Union (so far as I can tell from the articles) are different, as you can't do anything but use cards.  They are the actions, the people, and even the weather.  They are an integral part of the game's structure, rather than just being a cool side-feature.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 04:10:40 pm »

Ah, in that sense. Well, I guess my answer is "no" then, there aren't any games around that use cards, but are not based on them. Unless you count stuff like X-Men's Gambit in some action games, he does use cards. :)

In most cases, cards are replaced by some other forces or objects. You can say magic in FF8 is card-based, because you need to Draw it from monsters, and it's always in limited supply. And like I said, there is some game I think I heard about that uses cards as an integral part of the game, but I don't remember it, neither the name or the genre. If you seek cards as just an option in some game, then I don't know of one. Unless you mod throwing cards into DF. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 04:15:57 pm »

Hmm, pity.  Hell, even Painkiller had the Black Tarot...  It's not much, but it's something.

Card-related magic just seems very cool to me.  Very stylish.  Of course, that might just be because it's different (due to the fact that nobody else uses it).

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 04:19:27 pm »

This is a shame. Is there a programmer in the house?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 04:23:39 pm »

Culdcept, maybe...

Perhaps a definition of terms is in order.  What is a card?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 04:31:16 pm »

in Dungeon Crawl, a deck of cards is the same as a wand of random effects, only unrechargable, with a limited list of spells(e.g. only defensive or offensive) and a different icon.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 04:37:25 pm »

in Dungeon Crawl, a deck of cards is the same as a wand of random effects, only unrechargable, with a limited list of spells(e.g. only defensive or offensive) and a different icon.

It's not the effect, it's the style.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 04:43:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Armok forgive me for that picture, know that my eyes have been scarred by all the pink in that frantic couple-second Google search.

So a card system like... Ogre Battle?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 05:09:30 pm »

Oi!  Painkiller!

Over the course of the game, you earn gold by slaughtering enemies fast enough and smashing barrels, which you then spend on Magic Cards.  Some give you constant bonuses, others can be played during the level for special effects.

Also, Painkiller is just a lot of fun.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 09:31:56 pm »

Sounds very similar to D&D's Deck of Many Things...

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Deck_of_Many_Things
Pages: [1] 2