Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scafolding and bins of stone.  (Read 5224 times)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Scafolding and bins of stone.
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheSilverHammer:
<STRONG>Reverse Screwpumps:  There is no reason they can't work in both directions.  A giant screw in a tube can turn either way.</STRONG>

Yes, but if it is set in stone to draw water UP, then it's either vertical or at an angle. Pumping in the opposite direction would be unnecessary--you could do it by just opening a gate through. And pumping UP from the opposite direction would be impossible since the tube isn't positioned right for that.

So unless your screw in a tube is horizontal and uses siphoning to get water up from either side, you're screwed.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »

I've always been a fan of the "Silo" concept. Where a Silo would be a 3x3 or 5x5 workshop/building which would store large numbers of any identical item. Barrels, bags, and bins would be for temporary transportation use.

Obsidian Block Silo
Plump Helmets [500]

or
Green Glass Block Silo
Dwarven Wine [300]

or
Sand [125]
or
Plump Helmet Spawns [200]

If a dwarf needs a unit of sand for glassmaking or a stack of [5] plump helmets, he'd go to the nearest silo with that item and deduct the items from the silo. Planters would grab an empty bag from one of the stockpiles, go to the silo, fill it with seeds, then go planting.

Dwarves would try to keep stockpiles filled first, draining or putting items into the silos depending on the stockpile status.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 06:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheSilverHammer:
<STRONG>If you wish to micro making a wall at once, then you can get away with one stair, but once again, I am trying to get rid of that micro.

---o----oD--------oooo

Now if I place them one at a time and wait for them to be built, I can pull it off, but once again, that is a lot of micro.</STRONG>

Dwarves build in the reverse direction you designate (first in, last out).

So designate like this:

code:

+++->

++-->

+--->

---->

Dwarves will then start at the left and built to the right...

code:

oD-->

ooD->

oooD>

oooo>

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 08:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by veryinky:
<STRONG>I've always been a fan of the "Silo" concept. Where a Silo would be a 3x3 or 5x5 workshop/building which would store large numbers of any identical item. Barrels, bags, and bins would be for temporary transportation use.

Obsidian Block Silo
Plump Helmets [500]

or
Green Glass Block Silo
Dwarven Wine [300]

or
Sand [125]
or
Plump Helmet Spawns [200]

If a dwarf needs a unit of sand for glassmaking or a stack of [5] plump helmets, he'd go to the nearest silo with that item and deduct the items from the silo. Planters would grab an empty bag from one of the stockpiles, go to the silo, fill it with seeds, then go planting.

Dwarves would try to keep stockpiles filled first, draining or putting items into the silos depending on the stockpile status.</STRONG>

I'd imagine that the problem with Toady implementing this would be the same reason why like objects can't stack together. If and when the ability to stack 5 seperate plump helmets into a single stack of 5 plump helmets gets implemented, then I'd imagine that this could be implemented. I look forward to that day yet.

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 01:56:00 am »

Two way screw pump system.

code:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW   Z = 0
WWWWWWWW_WWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWVGWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWVWWWWWWWW   W = Wall, V = Screw Pump
WWWWWWWW WWWWWWWW   X = Levered Floodgates
WWWWWW_X X_WWWWWW   G = Gear (power source not shown)
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW   Z = -1
W~~~~~~X X      W
W~~~~~WWWWW     W
W~~~~~WWWWW     W  
W~~~~~WWWWW     W   If you can hook alternating floodgates to the same lever,
W~~~~~~WWW      W   this requires only one lever pull. Otherwise, match opposite
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW   floor pairs and you have a two-way screw pump with two lever pulls.

Pages: 1 [2]