Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'd die for Bloat 144: Disease and Infection (with zomb  (Read 2603 times)

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
I'd die for Bloat 144: Disease and Infection (with zomb
« on: August 25, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

Zombi   e infection search results.  I mostly just wanted to see the demand for something like this.  Leave your thoughts, please.

In my last fortress I had  the undead.  (Skeletal creatures, in particular).  Besides not being able to hunt for food, having undead creatures did not provide a most dangerous experience.

What I want to see:  green @ that are not just pissed off jewelers.

While reading adventure mode tips on dwarf fortress wikipedia, I recalled how the undead could be repeatedly thrown or choked to level wrestling.  This has got to be changed at some point even if its just a limit to the exp. you can get off of a creature.  

Imho, zombies shouldn't be wrestled like wrestlemania, zombies should be wrestled because they've seized you while your weapon was lodged in a rib cage and you've got to escape before getting infected.

Since the player is frequently put in contact with the undead in both fortress and adventure mode, and undead infection is      :cool:, I vote for Bloat 144 to be implemented soon-ish.

Bloat144, DISEASE AND INFECTION, (Future): Disease and infection. Get some from swamp or blood drinking. Hearty creatures (like dwarves) shouldn't be affected so much. The absence of a spleen can increase the chance of septicemia. Infections of some wounds, especially if you are dirty, leprosy type stuff, plagues. Tumors, especially those caused by magic. The kidneys, spleen, liver, stomach and pancreas should have functions that are reduced by damage.

[ August 25, 2007: Message edited by: ravensword227 ]

Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Re: I'd die for Bloat 144: Disease and Infection (with zomb
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »

The right title for this thread should be : "I'd die WITH Bloat 144 (and very painfully)".

I don't mind diseases as long as there's a cure to them. It would actually give alchemists something to do.

The only infection I'm looking forward to is vampirism. I'd really wreak havoc with an army of vampire elephants. Besides, we'd no longer need to build bedrooms for dwarves, tombs would be enough.

And slaves would serve as an endless supply of food.

Mwa-ha-ha-ha...

[ August 25, 2007: Message edited by: Istrian ]

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Istrian:
<STRONG>I don't mind diseases as long as there's a cure to them. It would actually give alchemists something to do.</STRONG>

That'd be an interesting early game.  Before cures, the infected could be quarantined.  You could also send him on a suicide hunting misson or drown him.  In the case of zombies, of course, he'd just rise.  He could be caged and traded to the elves.   :D

quote:
<STRONG>The only infection I'm looking forward to is vampirism. I'd really wreak havoc with an army of vampire elephants. Besides, we'd no longer need to build bedrooms for dwarves, tombs would be enough.</STRONG>

The challenge would be hiding your vampirism from other civilizations.  Just as the human diplomats scope out your traps, they'd take notice of bite marks on your dwarves.  You might well be dealing with a siege from multiple civilizations that consider you a 1st class threat.
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 04:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ravensword227:
<STRONG>
Tthey'd take notice of bite marks on your dwarves. </STRONG>

They wouldn't notice bite marks on their OWN necks  :roll:

Cures could actually become recipes and only a limited number of healers/alchemists in the whole world would know about them. Hell, some might even be known only to gods.

Imagine embarking on a quest to steal penicillin from the gods to save a kingdom from being overrun by a fortress of vampires YOU created.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Imagine embarking on a quest to steal penicillin from the gods to save a kingdom from being overrun by a fortress of vampires YOU created.</STRONG>

LMFAO.

Start Playing > Adventurer > Human of Durpulpesor

The Vampire Child collides with You!
You are knocked over!
The Vampire Child punches You in the head with his left hand!
It is mangled!
The Vampire Child punches You in the left lower leg with his right hand!
It is bruised!
The Vampire Child punches You in the left lower arm with his left hand!
It is broken!
The Vampire Child punches You in the head with his right hand!
It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
You have been struck down.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 04:42:00 pm »

The Vampire Child bursts into flame.
The Vampire Child collides with you.
You burn.

Yep, you forgot the sunlight factor. All games start in broad daylight.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>The Vampire Child bursts into flame.
The Vampire Child collides with you.
You burn.

Yep, you forgot the sunlight factor. All games start in broad daylight.</STRONG>

Well, they were inside the tavern, which is where you go to get the quest.  The Vampire Mayor shakes you around by your lower leg.

:(   It'd be awful to start in a vampire-infested town on a moonless, cloudy night (when torches are implemented). You couldn't see anything and if you used a torch, you are brought out of hiding.  Presumably, the vampires could see at night anyway.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 06:49:00 am »

Hi!

While I am very much in favor, I am not so sure about the budget-film zombie disease... I prefer to consider zombies magical constructs.

As for vampirism, I think it wouldn't be that much fun for dwarf fortress, considering how difficult it is to keep the dwarves from walking into a dangerous area. So, your vampire fortress would wither on the first day.

Mmmmhhh, rewalling and glass walls would actually help with vampire defenses, come to think of it... You just would need to wait them out till the morning :) :) :)

Deathworks

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 10:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deathworks:
As for vampirism, I think it wouldn't be that much fun for dwarf fortress, considering how difficult it is to keep the dwarves from walking into a dangerous area. So, your vampire fortress would wither on the first day.

Next version has the option to set areas as impassible to your dwarfs. Just designate the entire outdoors.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deathworks:
<STRONG>While I am very much in favor, I am not so sure about the budget-film zombie disease... I prefer to consider zombies magical constructs.
</STRONG>

What would be better than goblin slaves? Goblin ZOMBIE slaves! MWHAHAHA!

Or an army of zombies. No eating, drinking, sleeping or any kind of own will. Always ready to die... again   :p

Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »

"I must confess, I am quite partial to dwarven craftswork. Their metalcraft is simply astonishing."
"I'm afraid I must disagree with you there old chap, I very much cared for the engravings in my old home in Omon Tusi. Very nice and carefully made."

*adventurer walks by*

"Excuse me a moment will you?    BRAAAAAINS!"
"OMG Get it off! ARGH!"

*adventurer arises as a zombie*

"So, what kind of art do you like then?"

Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 10:58:00 pm »

Speaking of Zombies, I seem to recall someone mentioning that in a previous version of DF, all the dead of your fortress would, during a special encounter phase (like sieges), rise up as Zombies and attack the living.

I want that to be reimplemented  :)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 11:20:00 am »

It was removed because instead of being a hard coded automatic event, it needs to be in response to some logical condition, such as a necromancer casting a curse on your civilization.  But with all the things that go along with that.