Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarves scared by caged undead  (Read 4991 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves scared by caged undead
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 06:35:34 pm »

I guess I got the PG version then.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 09:58:34 am »

Yeah, well, don't we all?

As a friend of my father's explained it to me when I was younger ...

Jesus was born around 6 BC. Presumably his mother fell victom to rape and went insane after the deed, blabbing about angels after having ROman soldiers in shiny uniforms come after her. He became a pretty radical preacher and rabbi; since only married men were allowed to teach religion, everyone assumes he married the former whore Mary Magdalene. The Roman empire, never known for lenience in handling revolutionaries, just about had to sentence him to death. Most of the Bible's new testament was written between 30 and 50 years after his death; a small sect that focussed on the guy's supposed miracles for the first 3 centuries later turned into a church focussed on his crucifixion.

"If I said this aloud at work, I'd get fired the next day", the guy added. He teaches catholic theology at university.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 01:22:56 am »

Post about undead monkeys in cages
Religion.

I CAN SEE IT SO CLEARLY NOW!!
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 01:52:46 am »

But, my child; is religion not; in a sense, an undead monkey?

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 09:44:18 am »

But, my child; is religion not; in a sense, an undead monkey?

You are not my father!
Get the hell away, Onii-san!

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2008, 09:51:01 am »

That's Oni-SAMA, pitiful mortal.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2008, 09:55:00 am »

Post about undead monkeys in cages

Religion.

I CAN SEE IT SO CLEARLY NOW!!

I apologize for the above offtopic thing.
(Undead, however, are even in the Bible. What else would do you call it if a dead guy arises after several days, pushes the half-ton stone which seals up his tomb out of the way, and eats the brains of the soldiers standing guard?)

OK, back on topic. Which was ... er... undead monkeys? Or fire snakes? I guess I'll find out about the latter soonish. I have my first ever magma pocket waiting on my current map ... in the bottom right corner of the fort so no one ever even goes near there. Guess it's not tha smart to pre-designate like half the map for mining and then yell at the dorfs to move to another sector ...

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 04:52:27 am »

That's Oni-SAMA, pitiful mortal.

You spelled Sempai wrong.

I dont know why or how but i somehow keep flooding my fortress with magma or water.....my magma cooling rooms dont seem to always work.......sometimes my doors dont stay forbiddin....other times dwarvs are in the room, screwing my population........so i think that im gonna say screw the magma........stupid, useless shit........
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2008, 03:13:07 pm »

so i think that im gonna say screw the magma........stupid, useless shit........

Since we're on the topic of religion, this line is blasphemy round these parts.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2008, 06:30:09 pm »

Actually I'm inclined to agree with him. Not really about the magma, but certainly about the stupid, useless rock layers that contain it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2008, 07:14:51 pm »

Burn the unbelievers!

my weapons traps would never had prospered if not for those short swords!

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2008, 08:42:15 pm »

In other news, I've modded flint to be sharpenable. And my Faerie can make greatswords.

Oddly, all the spanish accounts I've read yet of the mesoamerican weapons that the obsidian swords are based off speak of flint swords rather than obsidian. And apparently they were more effective than the steel weapons the conquisidors had. Which really, really surprised me.

Apparently, they also made them out of Chalcedony. I don't know if it's possible to do that, but it could lead to some badass jewelers.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:44:44 pm by Marlowe »

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2008, 09:12:10 pm »

I remember seeing a documentary on early weapons. They showed how to take a piece of flint, another rock, and whack the flint with it. The flint would always break off in chunks with nearly razor-sharp edges; they even proceeded to demonstrate how sharp the piece of rock was by carving up a dead animal with it - no knives, just a hunk of rock.

Yay for geology!

(Edit for spelling errors)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:28:03 am by Hamster Man »
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2008, 09:22:21 pm »

I remember seeing a documentary on early weapons. They showed how to take a piece of flint, another rock, and whack the flint with it. The flint would always break off in chunks with nearly razor-sharp edges; they even processed to demonstrate how sharp the piece of rock was by carving up a dead animal with it - no knives, just a hunk of rock.

Yay for geology!

There is a reason the first tools were made of flint. 
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2008, 09:14:18 am »

Flint greatsword weapon traps are the bomb. Orc chunks in all directions. PLUS, it sparks when you hit something. How cool is that?
Pages: 1 2 [3]