Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multi-Racial Forts  (Read 5016 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Racial Forts
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 06:45:00 am »

The way I see it, dwarves seem to be manic-depressive alcoholics prone for psychotic breakdowns (strange moods and tantrums), while elves are treesexual hypocrites. I think it would thus be nice if one way to make humans different from dwarves would be to make them...more stable. They wouldn't get insane tantrums as easily, require booze all the time, but wouldn't get strange moods either - no artifacts from those guys (but no berserks either). What comes to elves, I think they might have some sort of strange moods, but I think it should produce different kind of products than dwarves do - like for example, having an elf train a legendary animal as an artifact, since they are such nature hippies.

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 09:43:00 am »

And elves should be able to harvest usable wood without destroying trees, although this will probably need to wait until we have varying levels of resources, so you can get smaller amounts than an entire tree at once.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zereth:
<STRONG>And elves should be able to harvest usable wood without destroying trees, although this will probably need to wait until we have varying levels of resources, so you can get smaller amounts than an entire tree at once.</STRONG>
Treesingers?
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>Treesingers?</STRONG>

I was pretty sure that treesingers coerced trees to grow into specific things. I think the tree was still used up, just not in a violent manner.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 03:02:00 am »

I read in the wiki that it is already possible to change the game so that it allows you to play as humans instead of dwarfs already, so it seems that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to implement something like this as well.

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 07:41:00 am »

yeah but would they be anything other than just a dwarf with a different name. Having the multi-racial fort is to get the benefit (added annoyance) of them not being dwarves, like an elf having a fit when he finds out the room he was assigned has a bed made of wood.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 07:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Pyro93735:
<STRONG>

I was pretty sure that treesingers coerced trees to grow into specific things. I think the tree was still used up, just not in a violent manner.</STRONG>

Just so.
Once an elf finishes singing wood out of a tree, he has a log and a sapling where the tree used to be for his efforts.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

TheSilverHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2007, 10:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keizo:
<STRONG>..Their women don't have beards for one....
.........we could find uses for these humans... yes we could...</STRONG>

But then again, they would have to be treated like nobility.  They would complain about crappy rooms and want to go shopping all the time.   Dwarven women, on the other hand don't mind getting a mining pick out or working at a foundry all day.

On the other hand, it would be intresting if each race had some distinct fortress mode advantages.   Maybe dwaves are best for crafting and living underground.   Maybe humans are better at industrial jobs (jobs about efficency and speed that do not require lots of skill such as smleting, deforestation, etc...). Maybe humans would make the best warriors too.

I am not sure where elves would fit in.   They are to prissy about chopping down trees, and in this game, it seems impossible to live without wood.  Even the elves trade with barrels and wooden items, so how do they do this when they do not chop down trees?  Maybe elves would make superior archers (longer range, higher damage) then other races.  Maybe they would be much better farmers and animal tenders.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 12:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheSilverHammer:
<STRONG>

But then again, they would have to be treated like nobility.  They would complain about crappy rooms and want to go shopping all the time.   Dwarven women, on the other hand don't mind getting a mining pick out or working at a foundry all day.

</STRONG>

I just had a mental image of Snow White stomping foot and screaming at the seven dwarves "I want adamantium tiara covered with dragon blood and pink diamond dust, decorated with titan spines and baby skin! And I want it NOW!"

...maybe the starting seven dwarves should start to have one human female with them..with annoying demands.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Yat:
<STRONG>like an elf having a fit when he finds out the room he was assigned has a bed made of wood.</STRONG>

more unreasonable than ever
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

I agree that when it's implemented officially that other races have different specialties.  

Especially if those specialties are moddable as well. In NWN my custom race is good at making weapon blades and are naturally skilled fighters, but are horrible miners, farmers, diplomats and animal tenders. I would love to be able to do that in dwarf fortress.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 11:46:00 pm »

I don't know about that customizable, but this leads the way to building golems and enslaving goblins and kobolds
Pages: 1 [2]