Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Elves get a bad rep.  (Read 2989 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves get a bad rep.
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 03:34:56 pm »

The part that annoys me about elves is that in a establish fort you are likely to have blood on everything. Making trade with elves difficult

Is that still a problem???  (of course, I trade cheap stone trinkets for elves stuff)

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 03:38:52 pm »

*shrug*

One or two raw stones is usually enough to buy all the useful stuff they bring me.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 03:48:33 pm »

Those poor, maligned elves get pounded all the time for no real good reason. They're just trying to stay true to their values, after all.

Exactly! I strongly support such Liberal defense of native traditions, but why only elves? What about the Demons and Kobolds! They are merely fufiling ancient and fun-loving traditions of destroying fortresses and stealing socks. Why genocide them just because of their natural behaviors? I envison a day when all races live together in peace and harmony and nobody speak badly about anybody else ever again or they get hammered into oblivion.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 03:52:31 pm »

Oh, I never genocide Kobolds and Demons.  The former is too entertaining when combined with watchdogs and marksdwarves, and the latter is too fun ;)

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 07:00:51 am »

Oh, I never genocide Kobolds and Demons.  The former is too entertaining when combined with watchdogs and marksdwarves, and the latter is too fun ;)

Passive genocide.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 09:03:12 am »

Wait, you guys are getting useful stuff from the Elves?  All they ever bring me is fifteen bins of rope reed cloth and a Wild Strawberry [5].

The stuff the elves (and any other merchant race, for that matter) is influenced by what you trade for (as well as what you ask for, regarding human/dwarven caravans). If you don't want that many berries/boxes of cloth... don't buy it! After a few seasons they will simply stop bringing what you don't buy and bring more of the rest.

In my five-year tourney fortress (before the entire thing fell apart due to lack of structure and the disappointing scoring system driving away two participants) I actually had the elves ONLY bringing wood by the fourth year with this tactic. (Granted, I was on a treeless glacier/tundra and desperately needed the wood for beds and barrels.)
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 10:14:11 am »

You forgot to mention the part where, even if you are friendly with them and agree to their stupid tree cutting limits they still insult you, year after year, even if you never cut another tree.

Or how the 'trees' you grow yourself (tower caps, which are really mushrooms) in your own fortress are also considered protected by them, and they get angry if you cut them down.

Or how they can't even be bothered to find out what you want/need with a liaison like civilized races, so they expect you to trade masterful dwarven craftsmanship for a bunch of berries and cloth they happen to have laying around and maybe the rare interesting wild animal.

I could go on but I have to finish my Anti-Elf Trade Depot Defensive System with Automated Magma Cleanup (AETDDSAMC) before they show up to pester me again.

I don't talk to elves.

When they enter into my trade depot, all they hear is a thud, and the bridge retracts.

4 months later, an animal freaks out and kills them all. I then take their wooden items, their cloth, their interesting animal and sell it to the humans.

But man, elven bone bolts are a hot commodity amongst the marksdwarves. I never seem to have enough.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 02:06:27 pm »

Wait, you guys are getting useful stuff from the Elves?  All they ever bring me is fifteen bins of rope reed cloth and a Wild Strawberry [5].

The stuff the elves (and any other merchant race, for that matter) is influenced by what you trade for (as well as what you ask for, regarding human/dwarven caravans). If you don't want that many berries/boxes of cloth... don't buy it! After a few seasons they will simply stop bringing what you don't buy and bring more of the rest.
I know they do that.  I never, ever buy their cloth, and I buy all the non-cloth stuff I can afford.  They still bring nothing but cloth afterwards, and even when I buy the berries for as much money worth of stuff as they can carry, all it does is make them bring more cloth-filled pack animals.

The only time I got them to bring something other than cloth and the single batch of veggies was when I did that for more than fifteen years.  And even then, cloth was still more than half their weight worth of stuff for another five or six.

And in my current fort, I just had my second Elf caravan, and they didn't even bring berries this time :'(

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 02:37:10 pm »

I know they do that.  I never, ever buy their cloth, and I buy all the non-cloth stuff I can afford.  They still bring nothing but cloth afterwards, and even when I buy the berries for as much money worth of stuff as they can carry, all it does is make them bring more cloth-filled pack animals.

The only time I got them to bring something other than cloth and the single batch of veggies was when I did that for more than fifteen years.  And even then, cloth was still more than half their weight worth of stuff for another five or six.

And in my current fort, I just had my second Elf caravan, and they didn't even bring berries this time :'(

Strange, even in my more recent forts I rarely get more than five bins of cloth (at most, when they get around ten pack animals). Normally the caravans from the elves are full of seeds, bags, useless clothing, weapons, shields, armor, and food. I wonder where the discrepancy in our reports is?

How much profit do you normally give the elven caravan when they come? Perhaps money made over the normal profit margin for a trader also influences what they bring.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2008, 02:49:16 pm »

I give them as much profit as I can stuff inside their weight limit.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2008, 08:30:52 pm »

Kill'emall. Let the forest spirit sort'em out.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 12:52:27 pm »

I was all in favour of exercising my ogres in my tradeing area every spring but last spring the pointy ears brought me a pregnant Giant Tiger.  Fairly sure this is the best thing any trader has ever brought me.  Pity I didnt notice until after the ogres had been recaptured.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: 1 2 [3]