Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planters not planting  (Read 531 times)

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
Planters not planting
« on: November 29, 2008, 06:06:14 am »

I have over 200 seeds, two dedicated planters and several farms, both under and over ground. The crops are in season, and I've set the farms for them to be planted, the seeds are accesible, I can't find any reason why the planters won't plant the seeds, but they won't. They'll plant a few seeds, but only seem to use about 1/5th of each farm plot at once.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planters not planting
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:34:34 am »

How dedicated? Do they have other tasks they have enabled and might do, or other major distractions? Hauling, for example.

A good way to check might be to check their current job on the units ('u') screen every once in a while and see if they're doing anything other than planting, harvesting, eating, drinking, and sleeping. Economy timewasters like shopping and storing items might be culprits, or mass building/construction removal.

... for that matter, how many farms do you have? If there's several plots above/below ground, your farmers might just not have enough time to fully cover them all, especially if they're not Legendary. You may need to add one or two, even if their plant stacks will be smaller for... probably several years.

If that's not the problem... how far are the fields from the seeds? If it's a long way to bring the seeds over, farmers are more likely to get distracted by other bodily needs on the way. I think that cancels that planting. If the fields are far apart, then a similar problem comes up if the farmers keep deciding to plant at different fields rather than filling them one at a time, or at least a set close together.

With two dwarves and that many seeds, I doubt it's an issue, but I'll ask more experienced players anyway: Can two dwarves get seeds from the same bag/barrel, or does that retrieval task prevent others from getting seeds from there as well?

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 03:55:34 pm »

They're completely dedicated. They have NOTHING enabled except Farming, the jobs are all there in the Jobs list and the farms are practically right next to the seeds. And the farmers just stand around saying they have no job.

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 04:57:23 pm »

Doubt this is it, but farmers will refuse to plant on the back end of the season if the crop would not bear fruit by the time the season changes.

There are some exceptions, though. I don't think it'll cancel it if the crop is able to be grown in the next season.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 05:00:29 pm »

Also, this may sound like a stupid question, but are the seeds forbidden or farms forbidden?  It's pretty easy to overlook something like that, even for the most experienced players.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 05:16:35 am »

Nope, neither are forbidden. I wasn't even aware you could forbid farms.