Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Megaproject: Paving the Ocean  (Read 5170 times)

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Paving the Ocean
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2008, 02:11:21 pm »

I do believe that the only way for this to be dwarfier is to then wall in the floor you build...

And pump the ocean onto the floor above.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2008, 02:22:32 pm »

An underwater castle in the sky?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2008, 03:09:52 pm »

I thought it wasn't possible to re-deploy on a previously used regional zone outside of reclaim mode without hacking the game anyway?  I know buildings stay through reclaims (that's kind've the point)  but I'm not sure how a hacked game would behave.

I can build out to the edges of regions just fine...
Oh.. you can't build walls or fortifications... I never tried Floors, ramps, or stairs!  Try away then.

I just did some testing and it seems to lock you out of neighboring tiles on the embark screen.  If you select a 6x6 area, it locks out an 8x8 block so you couldn't embark right next to an old location.  There would be at least one regional block between each fort.

Does that include across map tiles? If not, you could do 16x16 if your computer can handle it.
Just tried this and yes.  You can make a full 16x16 map next to another map... the problem then comes to if you can build off of another map structure.  You cannot.  Buildings off map will not support a building on your current map.

What I tried was embarking on a 16x16 map and building an elevated floor in one corner out of wood I embarked with.  One stair up and a wooden platform in the corner.  I then abandoned and went to the neighboring map and tried to build off the floor in the other map.  It didn't work.  I built a stair in the corner and a platform of wood.  Removed the stairs and it collapsed.

Buildings supporting structures across tiles is not possible at this time so building a floor that spans the whole world would not work unless every 16x16 embark area had a support.  It defeats his intention at that point of having one support beam to crush the world in one giant "cave-in."
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 02:18:48 am »

aww, too bad.  No world squishing for me... er, Armok.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2008, 02:00:47 pm »

Oh...MY...God! *Laughing insanely*

I never had any use for ocean areas before. But all this has given me an idea for something totally dwarvenly insane! As slow as my comp gets, it'll take me all winter to do it. But the voices! The voices are screaming at me to try it! My god I hope Toady doesnt activate cave-ins now! Its too insane to NOT try!

darknight cancels cook meal, taken by secretive mood!
darknight has claimed a computer!

ho watches those that watch us???
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]