Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Megaproject: Paving the Ocean  (Read 5162 times)

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Paving the Ocean
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 05:21:08 am »

Lol post a vid/pic if you manage to get a floored-ocean underway :P

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 02:19:18 pm »

Yeah, remember the terrifying ocean i was telling you guys about? i've decided a megaproject after playing on it for awhile. to avoid any future "flying skeletal whales" i've decided to pave the entire ocean with floor tiles.

i've already started aggressive mining to obtain the necessary crazy amounts of stone, and have around 20 newbie masons working at it atm. i'll need to get a higher pop though to provide the massive amount of manpower needed to do this though.

it weird how waves can go right through floor tiles.

hope you make it from bloks ;) ... it remembers me on my anti-sun floor on the most upper level i made in one fortress ... for the hole map ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 05:55:08 pm »

no, the current cave-in mechanics are incredibly simple. a tile only needs to be connected to any other tile to not fall. if you tried, and dug out the sides and bottom of an entire map, you could support the whole map with a single pillar.

i guess that doesnt count towards natural roofs then...

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 01:12:20 am »

What's the current status on this, bob?
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 01:48:20 am »

I had to start over because My first attempt got corrupted and now i'm in a neutral biome with a magma vent and a veeeeeerrrrrrrryyy sssslllloooowwwllly growing population. The fort got off to a bad start though, because the native fire imps (of which i had no experience whatsoever in) killed 6 of my 7 starting dwarfs, fortunately it was the miner that survived and my food and booze stockpile was already safely tucked away. The fire imps then proceeded to repeatedly set fire to the plains over the course of the year as my single Dwarf struggled to survive by herself (it was so funny seeing her tantrum and then frantically run around with no one and nothing to take out her frustrations on). Then when the first batch of migrants arrived i recruited four of them and stationed them around the vent just waiting for the little devils to pop their heads out. I've labeled this military action the "great imp genocide" and 2 of my dwarfs died during it, one by a stray fireball and the other by wrestling one of the little bastards into the vent (where he won, then died, and is still burning if the 'U' menu can be trusted), the remaining two killed the last of the imps. i dubbed them both 'imp-slayer' for their efforts. the unfortunate occurrance of a bad mood has killed one of the imp-slayers unfortunately. the other is living comfortably as a legendary engraver, who makes many engravings of his fallen, still burning comrade.

then a simultaneous mishap with my booze production and desalination plant almost killed all my dwarves of thirst.

Also, oddly enough, i've been sieged and had a Titan attack but haven't had a single ambush yet. Titan got taken out by a single stonefall trap.

anyway,i have about 15 full-time masons (although i predict, once my population gets higher, i'll have 40-50 masons working on it full-time) working on paving the ocean, not with stone, but with blocks. that sort of action might seem to only deliberate slow myself down, but it's slowly gaining momentum as the masons gain attribute levels, they work faster and faster. i've already dumped over 2000 blocks into the project, although it's still in its infancy and i predict that somewhere around 60,000-90,000 blocks will be necessary to fully pave the ocean.

and my name's not Bob.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 09:00:42 am »

wow... what a massive megaproject.

Ooo... that gives me an idea...  Make a world-wide ceiling... Massive floor tile spanning the entire world, supported by a pillar at the center...

Then collapse it.

Of course, if it's impossible to make a project span regions, this would be a useless idea.  I must test this, now.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:03:55 am by koruth »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 09:27:01 am »

wow... what a massive megaproject.

Ooo... that gives me an idea...  Make a world-wide ceiling... Massive floor tile spanning the entire world, supported by a pillar at the center...

Then collapse it.

Of course, if it's impossible to make a project span regions, this would be a useless idea.  I must test this, now.
Don't bother testing... even if you could line up the tiles from one region to the next, you'd have to be able to build near the edge of the screen and you can't.  ... however, one thing I AM unsure of is if you deployed to a huge region, then abandoned and then deployed to an overlapping regions, would the building still exist?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2008, 09:42:33 am »

I thought it wasn't possible to re-deploy on a previously used regional zone outside of reclaim mode without hacking the game anyway?  I know buildings stay through reclaims (that's kind've the point)  but I'm not sure how a hacked game would behave.

I can build out to the edges of regions just fine...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 09:51:18 am »

I thought it wasn't possible to re-deploy on a previously used regional zone outside of reclaim mode without hacking the game anyway?  I know buildings stay through reclaims (that's kind've the point)  but I'm not sure how a hacked game would behave.

Oh.. you can't build walls or fortifications... I never tried Floors, ramps, or stairs!  Try away then.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 10:28:34 am »

Oh.. you can't build walls or fortifications... I never tried Floors, ramps, or stairs!  Try away then.

I just did some testing and it seems to lock you out of neighboring tiles on the embark screen.  If you select a 6x6 area, it locks out an 8x8 block so you couldn't embark right next to an old location.  There would be at least one regional block between each fort.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2008, 11:44:49 am »

I just did some testing and it seems to lock you out of neighboring tiles on the embark screen.  If you select a 6x6 area, it locks out an 8x8 block so you couldn't embark right next to an old location.  There would be at least one regional block between each fort.

Does that include across map tiles? If not, you could do 16x16 if your computer can handle it.

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 12:25:19 pm »

For a project that big, I'd make all my masons guards, and change their military preferences to carry two rations, and just put booze stockpiles on your floor.  If it still works the way it did a couple of versions ago, the guards will still do their regular jobs in addition to fighting stuff and beating/jailing crminals.  That is, until they fight or spar enough to become legendary wrestlers or whatever, at which point they will just do their martial duties as normal.  But as long as you don't have any barracks designated, they should just go about their mason jobs while carrying food.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2008, 12:28:57 pm »

im pretty sure he said he wanted to do this without bugs

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2008, 01:34:35 pm »

I've never seen it listed as a "bug," or even an exploit.  I figured it was that way because guards are like part-time soldiers.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2008, 01:58:51 pm »

This is exactly the thread I needed to get me playing DF again!
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4