Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tags should imply other effects  (Read 1339 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tags should imply other effects
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 09:38:26 pm »

Skeletal creatures would be so much more awesome if you could hack off the entire upper body and still have them come after you.

Or would you be cleaving off the entire lower body?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 10:01:09 pm »

There's no particularly convincing reason apart from fantasy convention while zombies and other undead creatures would need their brain OR head. What use does a skeleton really have of a skull?

Skeletal creatures would be so much more awesome if you could hack off the entire upper body and still have them come after you.
How would you kill them? No organs, body parts continue to attack you, what can you do?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 04:17:46 am »

There's no particularly convincing reason apart from fantasy convention while zombies and other undead creatures would need their brain OR head. What use does a skeleton really have of a skull?

How would you kill them? No organs, body parts continue to attack you, what can you do?

You hack at them until there are no pieces left that are large enough to inflict damage. :D Or you could have the creature die once a certain amount of total damage had been inflicted.

Although I think it would be awesome if you hacked a skeleton in two and BOTH the upper and lower body came crawling after you.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 04:34:20 am »

Although I think it would be awesome if you hacked a skeleton in two and BOTH the upper and lower body came crawling after you.

Yes.  Yes it would.  Reducing the skeleton to individual bones might be excessive, but holy crap that'd rule.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:35:59 am by Footkerchief »
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 06:54:24 am »

Yes.  Yes it would.  Reducing the skeleton to individual bones might be excessive, but holy crap that'd rule.

The thought of a disembodied pair of legs running after my adventurer is more hilarious than anything else.  That said, having the upper body crawl after you would be awesome.  I think the bodyparts still connected to the head should be operable, and not anything else.
ow did this get here

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 02:29:26 pm »

I think there's room for the D&D troll rules there...  At a certain point the critter becomes combat ineffective and it's out of commission until a multiround coupe de grace attack happens.  Unless it's left for too long...

Edit:
I would actually say that tags should imply less effects (some already imply a whole slew of effects including other tags), so that it's harder to introduce redundancies and contradictions.

For the example you brought up -- how about having a [VITAL] tag for body parts instead?  You could also incorporate support for multiple heads, i.e. put a tag like [VITAL:main_head] on each head.  The idea is that the creature only dies when all organs of one of its VITAL types (in this case, "main_head") have been destroyed, whether it starts with one or many.

Or for a creature with one main heart and two auxiliary hearts (of which it only needs one to survive), put [VITAL:main_heart] on the main heart, and [VITAL:aux_heart] on the other hearts.

Bump this...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:10:16 pm by Granite26 »
Pages: 1 [2]