Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tags should imply other effects  (Read 1342 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Tags should imply other effects
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:51:43 am »

For instance, the tag NOTHOUGHT means you won't die if your brain is destroyed, mangled, broken, etc.

However,  if you are shot in the head or stabbed in the head or the head is cut off, you still die even though there's nothing of value in the head.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Tags should imply other effects
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:53:40 am »

And then we have something neigh-impossible to destroy.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:55:09 am »

Exactly! Besides, it's just NOTHOUGHT, you can hack them in two or someshit.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 01:03:46 am »

I would actually say that tags should imply less effects (some already imply a whole slew of effects including other tags), so that it's harder to introduce redundancies and contradictions.

For the example you brought up -- how about having a [VITAL] tag for body parts instead?  You could also incorporate support for multiple heads, i.e. put a tag like [VITAL:main_head] on each head.  The idea is that the creature only dies when all organs of one of its VITAL types (in this case, "main_head") have been destroyed, whether it starts with one or many.

Or for a creature with one main heart and two auxiliary hearts (of which it only needs one to survive), put [VITAL:main_heart] on the main heart, and [VITAL:aux_heart] on the other hearts.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:09:29 am by Footkerchief »

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 01:05:24 am »

[NOTHOUGHT] should not be the equivalent of no brain bodypart under any circumstances. This will make modding harder.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 01:13:55 am »

Or for a creature with one main heart and two auxiliary hearts (of which it only needs one to survive), put [VITAL:main_heart] on the main heart, and [VITAL:aux_heart] on the other hearts.

That wouldn't work, it'd die if you removed either the main_heart or both aux_hearts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 01:18:15 am »

These Tags arn't for fun in it of themselves, they are specific effects.

They shouldn't be given new abilities for the most part unless they naturally stem from new additions to the game.

Given them vague broad abilities is a quick way to break the modders back.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 01:19:57 am »

That wouldn't work, it'd die if you removed either the main_heart or both aux_hearts.

That was the intention.  The "of which it only needs one" was referring to the auxiliary hearts, not all of the hearts.  Sorry about the ambiguity (and the derail).

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 12:29:59 pm »

[NOTHOUGHT] should not be the equivalent of no brain bodypart under any circumstances. This will make modding harder.

I'm not saying nothought means they HAVE no brain, I'm saying it means they don't NEED it.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 12:35:58 pm »

How about they need the brain for normal operation (moving, walking, etc etc) but you're not a thinking being. It has no persona. It's a victim of it's own natural drives and instincts. It does not know how to choose. It does what it has to do.
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 02:19:10 pm »

I'm not saying nothought means they HAVE no brain, I'm saying it means they don't NEED it.

Find a real world example of a creature that has [NO_THOUGHT] that needs its brain and one with [NO_THOUGHT] that doesn't.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 04:25:36 pm »

Find a real world example of a creature that has [NO_THOUGHT] that needs its brain and one with [NO_THOUGHT] that doesn't.

You know you've been spending too much time in the raws when...

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 04:48:05 pm »

You know you've been spending too much time in the raws when...

But in all seriousness - not having the capacity for abstract thought is not the same as not needing the brain to live.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 08:33:18 pm »

There's no particularly convincing reason apart from fantasy convention while zombies and other undead creatures would need their brain OR head. What use does a skeleton really have of a skull?

Skeletal creatures would be so much more awesome if you could hack off the entire upper body and still have them come after you.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 09:33:05 pm »

I can survive loosing my head? Awesome!

Skeletal creatures would be so much more awesome if you could hack off the entire upper body and still have them come after you.
Seconded.
Pages: [1] 2