Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stationary Creatures  (Read 1928 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Stationary Creatures
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

you could make a Dangereus Seed creature wich if dies drops the Imobil Flesh Eating Plant creature
(Seed should have the shortest life spawn possible)
but i am not sure Creature dropping works propely

Yea, there is not code for that right now.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 10:16:14 am »

Is it possible to use the same display tiles as are used for the normal trees?  You could make a deadly forest that you can't even see before you start getting chewed on.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 10:19:40 am »

Is it possible to use the same display tiles as are used for the normal trees?  You could make a deadly forest that you can't even see before you start getting chewed on.

I think if you are near a z-level chance, the map of the other z-level gets a different border of an enemy is in it. Still, you won't know which tree is the enemy. And if you have them appear in large groups, are slow and have a highly damaging attack/stun, you could be halfway in a grove of the things before you know it. Then you die. Slowly.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 10:26:41 am »

Yea, there should be a character table on the wiki.  Make the creature's visible tile the number that corresponds with the symbol you want and it will have that symbol.  If yer gunna use a number like that remove the "" or else it won't work remember.
ie [TILE:249] works
[TILE:"249"] doesn't

There is one little catch though.  Although dwarves can be dumb as bricks, they have really good vision, they will spot the creature even if it looks like a chameleon colored floor tile.  So it would really only work effectively in adventure mode.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 10:34:39 am »

There is one little catch though.  Although dwarves can be dumb as bricks, they have really good vision, they will spot the creature even if it looks like a chameleon colored floor tile.  So it would really only work effectively in adventure mode.

But if there's some way to get your dwarfs to NOT attack them (trainable?), they would make an awesome fort defence. 

edit:  I just remembered that shouldn't happen anyway.  At least, normally.  Hunting might lead to hilarity.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:27:02 am by i are not good with compu »
ow did this get here

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 04:16:43 pm »

What if you gave them [AMBUSHER] (or whatever the tag is)?  Then you and the dwarves can't even seen them until someone blunders into one.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 04:40:18 pm »

Make them slow, but not too slow, and give them a large cluster size.
Creeping Trees!!!

Quote from: Shakespeare
Third Apparition: Macbeth shall never vanquish'd be, until
Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill
Shall come against him.
Macbeth: That will never be.
Who can impress the forest, bid the tree,
Unfix his earthbound root?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 04:59:13 pm »

I don't think mobile young and stationary adults are possible.

Might be soon, depending on whether caste bodies let you specify extra tags.  (I doubt it but hey)

Ah you forget, Toady is also implementing polymorphism. So you could totally do it next version.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 05:48:23 pm »

Yes, but there's no word yet on whether that means arbitrarily different morphs, essentially sub-creatures, or just different bodies.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 11:00:17 pm »

If all you could modify was size and speed, then you could make male treants large stationary killing machines, while female treants would be small, agile nymphs running through the landscape propagating the species.
Not designed to be sexist or anything, but the pregenant nymphs would have to be mobile.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

roundedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 03:45:25 am »

It kind of makes sense in fortress mode though. I mean, if you lived next to a living forest, I think you'd know pretty quickly to look out for living trees.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 10:29:15 am »

If all you could modify was size and speed, then you could make male treants large stationary killing machines, while female treants would be small, agile nymphs running through the landscape propagating the species.
Not designed to be sexist or anything, but the pregenant nymphs would have to be mobile.

[SPECSPEED:FEMALE:1000]? Dunno if that'll work.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 [2]